2015 Corolla - Towing a Small Trailer

hello everyone, my names Ryan and I am new here. I found this place by searching for some info.

I recently bought a 2015 Corolla S for a work vehicle. This is my first car I have ever owned and I was wondering about pulling a small trailer with a dirtbike on it.

I know the owners manual says it is not recommended to tow with this car, but I can't see 500 pounds really hurting the thing.

I was just curious if anyone on here has done anything like this.

btw, I'll be making about an 8 hour trip from southern OH to SC.

Several of the places that sell hitches put in a disclaimer that Toyota says not to tow with the corolla, and you risk your warranty (or at least part of it) if you do. Of course, they'l still sell you the hitch, lol.

hello everyone, my names Ryan and I am new here. I found this place by searching for some info.

I recently bought a 2015 Corolla S for a work vehicle. This is my first car I have ever owned and I was wondering about pulling a small trailer with a dirtbike on it.

I know the owners manual says it is not recommended to tow with this car, but I can't see 500 pounds really hurting the thing.

There is a Curt hitch which is a bolt on. Tongue wt. max. is 200 lbs. I would not exceed the vehicle max. cargo wt. limit.

I'm not sure if this will help - different transmissions, but I have towed my road bike 500 lbs on a trailer I built 125 lbs from my home in Michigan to Asheville North Carolina (700 mi) half a dozen times with no problems at all. In fact it towed better with the Corolla than with my Buick Regal due to a better transmission keeping the engine in the power range even up grades. I can detect no ill effects on the transmission, 115,400 miles on my '09.

Toyota limited the amount of oil pressure that keeps the steel belt in the CVT under tension to eliminate as much parasitic drag as possible, so towing may cause the belt to slip. 500 pounds isn't a lot, but keep in mind that the 500 pounds will be reduced from the maximum cargo capacity limit of 845 ... if I'm not mistaken. So that just leaves enough for two average passengers and maybe, maybe a small suitcase.

Toyota limited the amount of oil pressure that keeps the steel belt in the CVT under tension to eliminate as much parasitic drag as possible, so towing may cause the belt to slip. 500 pounds isn't a lot, but keep in mind that the 500 pounds will be reduced from the maximum cargo capacity limit of 845 ... if I'm not mistaken. So that just leaves enough for two average passengers and maybe, maybe a small suitcase.
That info about the oil pressure alone would mean no way I would ever do it.

Plus anything that puts any extra strain on the CVT is a bad long-term idea. Plus Toyota recommends against it. The corolla's CVT is designed for fuel economy, the appropriate use of an economy small sedan

Yeah, people are talking about if a CVT can handle a turbo but when I read about the oil pressure ... I dunno ... you'd have to install an aftermarket oil control body that would up the pressure, and chances are they won't make them since most people that install turbos do so on stickshifts.

Even the 4-speed autos needed new valve bodies because people were losing 4th gear from it. Surprisingly those kits exist, so maybe it's just a waiting game.

Several of the places that sell hitches put in a disclaimer that Toyota says not to tow with the corolla, and you risk your warranty (or at least part of it) if you do. Of course, they'l still sell you the hitch, lol.
Noob here - be patient.

So I think I've heard my answer but I just want to double-check. Just got a 2015 Corolla with hitch installed (one of my asks from the dealer). My plan was to do occasional light duty local hauling with a small utility trailer - say 10-20 x 2 cubic foot bags of mulch in a load, say 5 km from the garden store to home in 50-60 km/h zones, for the most part flat. Maybe occasional small loads 15 km to landfill. No passengers or other weight load in car - just me.

Am I crazy?

Also, if the trailer approach is just wrong, any feedback on these cargo trays/baskets that fit on to the hitch?

Thanks for your help.

I think the trays / baskets that go onto the hitch are worse because the rear will sag more than with a trailer, and the car will handle like crap with it loaded.

If you have a stickshift and your clutch starts slipping, stop towing.

If you have a CVT, you're being a guinea pig by towing on that. If you hear abnormal noises coming from the transmission, stop towing right away.

With the yard waste and a light trailer, you're probably looking at 400 - 500 pounds. It's kinda right at that limit of what I would deem to be perfectly fine and what will damage the car in the long run.

As others have said, the manual states the car isn't designed for towing. I'd get the trailer weighed. 850 pounds - (your weight) - (trailer weight) = maximum yard waste weight. You might substitute 850 for 750 to be more on the safe side.

I think the trays / baskets that go onto the hitch are worse because the rear will sag more than with a trailer, and the car will handle like crap with it loaded.

If you have a stickshift and your clutch starts slipping, stop towing.

If you have a CVT, you're being a guinea pig by towing on that. If you hear abnormal noises coming from the transmission, stop towing right away.

With the yard waste and a light trailer, you're probably looking at 400 - 500 pounds. It's kinda right at that limit of what I would deem to be perfectly fine and what will damage the car in the long run.

As others have said, the manual states the car isn't designed for towing. I'd get the trailer weighed. 850 pounds - (your weight) - (trailer weight) = maximum yard waste weight. You might substitute 850 for 750 to be more on the safe side.
Thanks! Pretty much as I thought. Appreciate the guidance.

Toyota used to have a posted tow rating of 1500 lbs for its Corolla but they have removed it. However, if you look at the frame of even a 2015, there are mounting bores already in the frame, ready to attach a Class I hitch. Interesting.

so you heard your answer and you asked again. I think the answer is no. Toyota (those whom engineered and built the car) say no. I have seen older corollas towing but I would not tow. Now, as mentioned anyone will sell you a hitch for the vehicle so the choice is yours.

Keep in mind that the weight is not the only issue. You would also affect the aerodynamics and the additional drag exerted could be far worse than the actual weight. No means no.

Having been the owner of 2003 Corolla CE it was comforting to know it had a tow rating of 1500 lbs. I eventually had a hitch installed and towed a 5'x8' enclosed u-haul trailer from Toronto to Edmonton through Ontario for work. The hills of Ontario combined with a trailer (at or past the tow limit) resulted in my flogging the car to get up long steep hills, and white knuckle braking on the way down. The drive was made with overdrive in the off position all the way.The car towed quite well (I don't have any other reference point) but fuel economy suffered compared to driving without a trailer. In it's defence, the car towed this weight and distance with a broken/collapsed front right strut, a leaking #1 fuel injector seal, and a failed/ #4 fuel injector. Made the trip there and back (but the return trip was through the US). In any case, I managed approx 24 mpg. Brake fade was significant concern going downhill.

The 2003 Corolla CE was recently t-boned by a red light runner and is being written off. I'm disappointed to learn the new corolla is not rated for towing. I'm glad I researched this before simply jumping into getting a new Corolla (at least once the write off is settled and the funds come in). This puts VW JETTA TDI in the running for my next car. I don' t tow much or often but having the ability adds significant utility to any vehicle.

Save a few bucks and buy a used F-150 or Tundra to do your towing and hauling. The cost of a replacement transmission would be enough to pay for an old Ford....

As mentioned, i don't do a lot of towing. Also, living in the city of Toronto, ON a full size truck is impractical for my needs the vast majority of time. The VW Jetta TDI is a capable machine (rated for towing in the UK but not here for liability reasons). I suspect the corolla won't be tow rated again for 25 years while the new CVTs build a reputation. And then, the rating will be short lived as I suspect another transmission will be released. The cost of driving a full size truck in city traffic with fuel will certainly drain the bank account.

How well does the dual clutch automated manual handle loads over time? Cars with that type of transmission seem to develop drivability problems as they rack on the miles versus traditional automatics which can remain relatively consistent until something breaks.

Over time, all transmissions will have issues. The DSG system is fancy name for dual clutch. My experience with clutches is limited to big rigs. Replacing a transmission on those is easily $7K. Mind you, the cost of a new rig is easily $150K so price is relative. Volvo is a pretty big player in the big rig game. The majority of their new rigs on the road feature their i-drive automatic which is a dual clutch. Given that rigs typically tow weight that easily weighs 2 or 3 times that of the tractor and that fleet operators are price conscious the reliability comes down to use and dollars for maintenance. The VW dsg service (drain and fill of transmission fluid) is done at 40,000 miles (60,000 kms). In comparison, the corolla needs the atf drained and filled yearly. The VW Dsg is an automatic.

Big rigs with semiautomatics are going to be different as their primary objective is towing. Maybe things are different now, but VW used to have insane issues with their DSG.

no vehicle is ever perfect in any model year with complaints of the 2006 corolla surging. Do we dare forget the Camry's acceleration issue of 2004? A trucks semiauto is no different in it's operation than the vw dsg, but build will be different. DSG's did have issues at one time and these may still occur from time to time (as with any mechanical issue or concern). With the CVT (very much untested for towing) vs DSG, my money is on the DSG, and with good reason:

I own the L model, which has a 4 speed not a CVT. Seems like I should be able to tow, but the owners manual doesn't speak to the different models. Is there more specific info posted anyplace online?

rk97

Towing with a CVT is never the best option, but 500 lbs. is negligible... You could put 2 fat friends in teh back seat and be over 500 lbs.

90% of the time towing isn't an issue at all - it's stopping. I don't have a hitch on my corolla, but I have considered it a lot lately, just so I don't have to take my wife's SUV away (and move a car seat) every time I want to take my bike(s) to the racetrack for the weekend. Even with her small SUV, the max tow capacity is 2,000 lbs. with a trailer brake and 1,000 lbs. without. I can carry two full-sized sport bikes and not be over 1,000 lbs. by much. (I estimate 300 for my 4x8 trailer, with plywood decking, and 400-450 per sport bike. I routinely pull two small dirt bikes, which are more like 150 lbs. each)

The concerns about voiding a warranty are valid ones, but always remind yourself that the "advisory" statements about not towing are probably made by an attorney, and not by an engineer.

I wouldn't be concerned about towing a small single-rail trailer and a dirt bike.

well, 4 months later, and I picked up a used Curt class I hitch for $40 on craigslist. I'll create a new fuelly account on my phone for the "rolla utility vehicle" to preserve my 'normal' driving average, and see how much the trailer really affects mileage.

Haven't bought or priced installation on a trailer wiring harness yet. Had uHaul do the last one on my SUV, but open to suggestions if it's easy to do on your own. Somehow I doubt the corolla has plug-and-play controls in the trunk, behind the brake light, like I've seen in truck-based SUV's.

Went to install the hitch yesterday, and either the hardware is different for a 2013 (what the hitch came off of) and a 2003, or my welded bolts are extremely rusted... suggestions? my plan was to buy new hardware for the tow hooks (where the hitch mounts), but I can't find that appropriate part number on any of the microfiche sites.

Latest update on 'rolla towing:

A thread-chaser cleaned up the weld-bolts enough to get the hitch installed. uHaul sold me the wiring harness (parts and labor!) for $65. I towed my open 4x8 trailer with 2 lawn mowers on it to my parents house about 10 miles away. I figured that was an easy test-drive.

This past weekend was a legitimate test though - I loaded up the trunk with tools and camping gear, then loaded the trailer with my race bike and two canopies to shade everything for the weekend.

I (over)estimate the trailer weight to be 300 lbs., the motorcycle is 150, and I'll guess the canopies and other 'stuff' on the trailer adds another 150. So 600 for the trailer. It pulled better than I expected. It stopped about how I expected.

This was only 200 miles round-trip, but I was doing 70 most of the way, and had the AC running the whole way home. The result was 32.1 mpg!

Beware that many trailer tires are speed limited to 65 mph and some others only 55 mph. 70 mph can cause the trailer tires to blow out, which could really ruin your day. Read the sidewall of the trailer tires to look for speed limit warnings.

What type of oil and transmission fluid, (high quality synthetic or petroleum), are you using in this Corolla? Towing can greatly increase engine and transmission temperatures and when combined with using lower performing petroleum lubricants, can cause operating temperatures to skyrocket with resulting increased wear.

I'm an attorney. I can tell you right now that another attorney sets those trailer tire speed limits, not an engineer. I'm not discounting what you're saying, and I carry a spare tire in case one lets go, but I'm putting less than 700 lbs. on tires rated to carry well over 1,000 lbs. I do inspect them for chunking, etc. to make sure they're not just spinning apart. With 12" rims on the trailer, I have been more concerned with the wheel bearings. I check the hubs for excessive heat every chance I get.

Transmission wear is a concern of mine, but again, it's a light trailer that I pull relatively infrequently. 8-10 times a year for 300 miles a day, or less. The owner's manual says to lock out overdrive 'to maximize engine braking.' There's nothing in there about overheating or prematurely wearing the transmission if you pull too often, or too much. I'm below half the max load rating (again, something probably established by a lawyer, not an engineer), and 700 lbs... That's no worse than 3 fat passengers. Granted, I probably had 250 lbs of tools, cooler, etc. in the car with me already.

A transmission cooler may be in my future. They're cheap - i just don't want to have to deal with the installation. I'll get a labor quote and then decide if i want to keep gambling on ruining my transmission. That said, the '03-'08 corolla was a pretty popular car. A used transmission may not be all that expensive either.

I just bought the wife a 2016 Kia Sorento V6/AWD, so this corolla is going to be my daily driver for years to come.

In the owner manual it is also mentionned that you could not install a hitch for bicycle, this is ridiculous.
I checked also on different website and it is the same for Honda , Hyndai , Nissan but not for american cars !
It is not a matter of CVT transmission , it is something else

In the owner manual it is also mentionned that you could not install a hitch for bicycle, this is ridiculous.
I checked also on different website and it is the same for Honda , Hyndai , Nissan but not for american cars !
It is not a matter of CVT transmission , it is something else
it's because those automakers all sell SUVs and trucks that they want you to buy if you're going to tow.

I put another 300 miles on the 'rolla towing my open trailer and 1.75 dirt bikes (the .75 is a frame, engine, and seat... front wheel and forks were in my trunk). No issues.

I'll say it again: My trailer weighs less than 350 lbs. Dirt bikes are about 150 apiece. that's 650 being towed. 2 fat guys in the back seat would be the same weight.

Having been the owner of 2003 Corolla CE it was comforting to know it had a tow rating of 1500 lbs. I eventually had a hitch installed and towed a 5'x8' enclosed u-haul trailer from Toronto to Edmonton through Ontario for work. The hills of Ontario combined with a trailer (at or past the tow limit) resulted in my flogging the car to get up long steep hills, and white knuckle braking on the way down. The drive was made with overdrive in the off position all the way.The car towed quite well (I don't have any other reference point) but fuel economy suffered compared to driving without a trailer. In it's defence, the car towed this weight and distance with a broken/collapsed front right strut, a leaking #1 fuel injector seal, and a failed/ #4 fuel injector. Made the trip there and back (but the return trip was through the US). In any case, I managed approx 24 mpg. Brake fade was significant concern going downhill.

The 2003 Corolla CE was recently t-boned by a red light runner and is being written off. I'm disappointed to learn the new corolla is not rated for towing. I'm glad I researched this before simply jumping into getting a new Corolla (at least once the write off is settled and the funds come in). This puts VW JETTA TDI in the running for my next car. I don' t tow much or often but having the ability adds significant utility to any vehicle.
See, I wish I had done this same research before. Not that its too much of an issue, when I had my 03 Corolla the most I needed to tow was a 4-slot bike rack or one of those mini cargo baskets. It'd still be nice to have that 1500lbs tow rating though! Mine got rear-ended by a crew cab Silverado at 12mph while parked in front of my house and man oh man that thing was trashed.

Is somebody knows from Toyota what parts will failed if we installed a hitch and tow a small trailer ? Toyota customer service don't know and my dealer is guessing !
It is ridiculous that in 2011 it was mentioned 1500 lbs and in 2012-2013 in is written N/D .....

Is somebody knows from Toyota what parts will failed if we installed a hitch and tow a small trailer ? Toyota customer service don't know and my dealer is guessing !
It is ridiculous that in 2011 it was mentioned 1500 lbs and in 2012-2013 in is written N/D .....
the only way to really know is to force an actual failure...

The "simplest" failure would be bending the sheet-metal floor of the trunk, assuming that is where the hitch would attach. On the older model corollas, I believe you're bolting into more robust bumper mounts.

The transmission overheating would be the next most likely failure, but Continuously Variable Transmissions are not an area where I'm even remotely knowledgeable - I just know they are frequently NOT recommended for towing. My next car will have a manual transmission. I may curse that decision daily while commuting, but the peace of mind while towing will be worth it.

My biggest question for those who are in the know with automatic transmissions is "how much weight really requires a transmission cooler?"

I can't foresee myself ever towing even HALF the 1500 lbs. rating, and I only lock out overdrive on inclines...

My biggest question for those who are in the know with automatic transmissions is "how much weight really requires a transmission cooler?"

I can't foresee myself ever towing even HALF the 1500 lbs. rating, and I only lock out overdrive on inclines...
I'm not an expert, but I would have no qualms towing moderate weight on 4AT. But IMO, your killer is heat.

What climate are you towing in and hilly terrain etc? How many miles on the tranny and when was it last serviced? I service my autos on a 30k interval so they always have fresh fluid and filter. If the tranny is well maintained, I would consider the cheap route and install a high quality synthetic fluid as mentioned upthread. That would likely negate the need for a cooler. If I was towing daily, by all means install the cooler. If on the other hand the tranny history is unknown, has high miles etc, my local tranny shop (a well regarded popular establishment) advises against changing the fluid. Personally, I like peace of mind and would simply install the aftermarket cooler and forgetaboutit.

i support what the guy said ,the CVT is very weak ,if you want your car scrapped in short time,you can try :D
the owner manual doesn't mention a CVT or manual transmission ; it is not recommended to install a hitch ......they don,t make any difference ,

ALso , i checked with a garage who installed ONLY hitches on cars , and the frame of the Corolla is the same for years now and that included 2016 . The hitch is installed on the frame .......

A corolla has seating for 5 passengers. There is not much difference between carrying 5 passengers and having two passengers with a trailer on. It is not the cvt that makes towing not recommended it is the safety. I believe stopping is a concern. With slippery roads there is a risk of jack knifing. One last note, if you do install a trailer hitch it is harder (but not impossible) to install a borla performance exhaust.

A corolla has seating for 5 passengers. There is not much difference between carrying 5 passengers and having two passengers with a trailer on. It is not the cvt that makes towing not recommended it is the safety. I believe stopping is a concern. With slippery roads there is a risk of jack knifing. One last note, if you do install a trailer hitch it is harder (but not impossible) to install a borla performance exhaust.
The risk of jackknifing is there with ANY vehicle though. Whether I'm towing with my corolla or my wife's Sorento (rated to tow 5,000 lbs.), my small trailer doesn't have trailer brakes in either scenario. If you slam on the brakes in either vehicle, the trailer may try to come around the tow vehicle. The only real difference between the two vehicles in that scenario is how much hitch-weight they can safely handle.

Properly loading the trailer with a (slightly) nose-heavy bias is easier on a vehicle that is rated for a higher hitch-weight.

this video demonstrates the issue

So yeah, it's easier to make sure you're nose-heavy without exceeding the vehicle's hitch weight on a vehicle rated for 500 lbs. instead of 200, but as long as you're leaving a safe following distance for yourself to stop, I don't see how a small trailer is unsafe behind a corolla. The wheelbase isn't much shorter than many small SUVs rated to tow 2,000 lbs. or more.

As for your passenger analogy, that is true when it comes to pulling power, but not weight distribution. I was moving tools from my trunk to the front passenger seat to help weight distribution the last time I did a camping trip with a trailer...

Did you ever tow. My dealer assured me when I purchased car it could tow 1700 lbs now I find out that's not the case. I am now stuck with a vehicle I can't use and can't afford Hong else. I was only going to tow approx 450 lbs

I own a 2015 S as well. my best friend is the service manager at the dealership I bought it from. I asked him about towing a small trailer with my car. He absolutely forbade to do it if I want to keep my warranty and transmission because of the CVT transmission. He said places will sell you the hitch but said NOT to pull anything with it. He's been in the business 20+ years so I believe him when he says not to do it. Best of luck if you decide to do so.

Lol holy crap... my name's also ryan, own a 2015 corrola, own a small dirt bike (honda crf250), an was curious if I could do the same. Far as I know so long as the bike an trailer combined dont weight more than what it can scoot around on with a fully loaded car, we'll be just fine. My bike weighs 208 dry, an trailer I'd say max 300, so thats roughly the equivalent of 2 1/2 people pretty sure we'll be just fine bro.

FWIW, I have towed the dirt bike, a couch, fire wood, and so other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting.

My transmission fluid was changed yesterday. Dirty, but no excessive wear noted on the trans itself. I drive a 2003 though, so no CVT.

in New Zealand they appear to have the same Corolla as us, same engine and transmission options but
  • Towing capacity - unbraked/braked: 450kg/1300kg
look at the specs

toyota.co.nz/our-range/corolla/corolla-sedan/specifications/gx/

scroll down to dimensions