95 Rear Doors

My mother in law just passed away, and no one wanted her car in the family so I brought it home. It's a 95 Corolla and in not bad shape. I have a few mechanical things to fix, but the problem I'm having is that neither of the rear doors will open. Before I start taking the doors a part, is there a common problem with these that I should look for first? Thank you in advance for any advice.

Are you sure they are unlocked? There is probably a button to lock the rear doors from the front. With this depressed, you will not be able to open the back doors.

If the rear doors weren't used at all, it is possible that the latching mechanism is very dry, or corroded and not functioning/not releasing. A can of Liquid Wrench or WD-40 lubricant spray can help loosen the stuck latches. A straw inserted into the spray nozzle and then inserted into the door lock where the key slides in, then spraying the lubricant into it can help release the stuck latching mechanism. Insert the key and turn it back and forth many times to get the spray lubricant worked into it.

Failing that, the interior door panels will have to be removed in order to gain access to the door latches from the inside.

It's a good maintenance practice to periodically spray the door latches and locking mechanism with a light duty lubricant from time to time in order to prevent problems like this.

Why wouldn't anyone in your family want a free Toyota Corolla? I don't get it.

Well, my wife's two brothers are both pretty well off, and if it had a L instead of a T logo then one of them would have taken it! lol, plus no one wanted to have to put any repair into it. She has been sick since spring, so it's been sitting for some time, but I figure for free even if I have to drop 2 grand into it, it's only a 2,000 dollar car. Can't beat that! I normally drive pickups, but with gas prices I'm just trying to look at the positive of decent MPG's, and less wear and tear on my truck. I'm going to be honest though, to me I see a blank canvas of endless possibility. It's getting my creative juices flowing!

Indeed, with the current anti-business/anti-job administration in Washington, D.C. driving gas prices up into the stratosphere, fuel economy is a very important issue. Gas prices wont come down until we elect a new President this fall, so in the meantime we need to do what we can to save money and improve fuel economy.

I hope my tips on the stuck door latches help you out.

Have you measured the fuel economy of this vehicle yet?

Not yet. It's just sitting in the garage for now. I have a transmission coming for it next week (nice to have a buddy with a bone yard), and before I drive it it's going to have four round tires on it. lol, Amazing what can happen to tires when a vehicle sits for a while. I got the drivers side rear door open today with a good kick, but not sure when I can get to the other side.

By the way, sorry I didn't say this before, but I was so focused on your car problem I forgot to extend my condolences to you over your mother in-law passing away.

By the way, sorry I didn't say this before, but I was so focused on your car problem I forgot to extend my condolences to you over your mother in-law passing away.
Thanks Scott! She was a dear sweet lady. Most people dislike their Mothers in law but mine was the best! Part of the reason why I could not see this car go. Yeah it has some issues, but I would like to make something of it, drive it for a while and be able to hand it off to one of my kids maybe.

Hats off to you for your decision! :) Yes indeed, many times a vehicle has a huge emotional value that no monetary price could ever reflect. I fully understand and agree with your decision. A car is a car, but a car owned by a loved one, well that's not just a car anymore and is elevated to a family heirloom.
It will be my honor to help you with getting this Corolla back up to speed and in good shape. I have 25+ years of experience in the automotive industry and in the synthetic oil industry. Please feel free to lean on me for assistance. It will be my pleasure! :)

Got both doors open, have a fender ordered, a transmission ready to go in, but no clue where I want to go with it. It's already black but not sure if I want to repaint it all black, or two tone or what. What is everyone's thoughts on lowering this car? I've seen a couple lowered and think it looks cool.

Is that transmission new or used?

Lowering a car is really a personal choice. There are drawbacks in reduced ride comfort and clearance over potholes, speed bumps, etc.

Is that transmission new or used?

Lowering a car is really a personal choice. There are drawbacks in reduced ride comfort and clearance over potholes, speed bumps, etc.
It's used, however my friend owns the auto salvage yard I got it from so if there are any problems he will replace it. I always get my stuff from him, and yes have had problems but replaces it for me no questions asked. (Sure someone off the street may not be so lucky) I doubt I'm going to lower it, would kinda like to though. At this point I think I'm going to wait a few weeks before I do much else, everything I'm wanting to do requires being in a non heated garage and it's February! lol

Whenever you want top flight AMSOIL synthetic motor oils and transmission fluids for it to help it last much longer, run better/smoother, improve fuel economy, lower emissions, start and operate easier in the winter, provide much better high temperature protection, save yourself good money on reduced maintenance costs and improved fuel economy, contact me and I'll get you wholesale price savings for anything you need from AMSOIL. This offer extends to all Toyota Corolla forum members as well. Thanks to using AMSOIL synthetics, I save over $300 per year in improved fuel economy and reduced maintenance costs. You can too! :) Check out my company link below. Enjoy.