A Lot Of Questions

Hello All.

I got my 98 Corolla VE about six years ago. It was owned by a lady who drove it to Church on Sundays and did very little in the way of anything else. It ran supremely until around two years ago.

I have been to several mechanics (and those who are mechanically inclined), and nobody has been able to tell me what the noise under the hood was. It got louder and more pronounced when speed was increased, or the car was turned right. It lessened going up hills and when the car turned left. This discontinued last year. In place of this was squeaking/rattling upon acceleration, which would fade as the car approached 30mph. The car seemed to 'catch' and lurch forward slightly once it reached that threshold. The brakes were checked and are in prime condition. The wheel bearings were thought to be the issue, as were bent rims, and both were replaced, without any change to the noise or issues.

Recently, this too has almost stopped. The frequency of which it occurs is much less than it was previously. In place of this now is the inability to maintain control of the car going around corners in wet conditions. The car does not want to grip the road (despite the tires being only a year old and have nearly all their tread). This does not occur in dry conditions. Only when the roadways are wet.

The car, while sitting idle chirps. Again, no cause can be directly found.

Most troubling is that the oil keeps burning off at an accelerated rate. I put oil in, and it's bone dry BEFORE it's next scheduled trip to the service center.

There is no leaks in the fuel system, no leaks anywhere, and the ground under the car is clear.

The driver's side door interior was removed by a guy a few years back who promised to fix the issue of it not opening from the inside or outside. He flew the coop and left it with a big rod sticking out that one must pull from inside to exit. There is no way into the car from that side, and the control panels were left in the storage area in the metal frame.

I'm at a loss here. The car is at about 140,000. It still runs well despite most of these issues. If anyone has had a problem with any of the above problems and you know what it is, please let me know.

Thank You.