Adding Cruise to a 2012 L

Hello!

My wife and I just purchased a 2012 Corolla L last night and I noticed on the way home there's no cruise control. I assumed it was included since it came standard with power everything. That's my fault for not checking but not a big deal. We got a GREAT deal on the car! I really, REALLY wanted a 5-speed but the dealer did not have one nor could they find me one in the Gulf States area.

I've read where some people have added the OEM cruise switch and wire to a 2009 and 2010 model. Would it be possible for me to add it to my 2012? Is it already pre-wired for it?

What would the part numbers be for the cruise switch and wire I would need?

Ted

If you bought the car from a dealer that has a good service department why don't you ask them if they can do it?

You could at least ask the dealer what the part numbers are.
That's what I'm waiting on now. I called their parts dept and she said she would find out for me and call me back.

I know I need the switch, the steering wheel cable, and I would also like to get the steering wheel access panel that has the hole already cut out for the switch.

I'm also going to see about adding the intermittent wiper switch that lets you control the speed of the intermittent. I figure I might as well do that while I'm in there.

Well that was pointless. According to the parts dept the lady I spoke with said she called Gulf States Toyota and they are saying they do not order factory parts for the cruise control system and that I would have to go with aftermarket which they do not order.

What now?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
It's not just a matter of a wire and a switch. It's a lot more involved than that and if you don't know what you're doing with it, it's best to leave this to trained Toyota technicians.
Call around to other Toyota dealerships until you find one that is willing to help. Be forewarned this will cost hundreds of dollars.

It's not just a matter of a wire and a switch. It's a lot more involved than that and if you don't know what you're doing with it, it's best to leave this to trained Toyota technicians.
Call around to other Toyota dealerships until you find one that is willing to help. Be forewarned this will cost hundreds of dollars.

Per Toyota's own write up and per several threads here that people with 2009-2010 Corollas that added cruise they said all it involves is installing the switch and replacing one wire in the steering wheel. The write up says the worst case scenario is I have to run a wire to the BCM but that the computer is already programmed for cruise.

I've seen several cruise control kits on e-bay brand new in packaging that are going for $199 but I'm sure they are not factory Toyota parts.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Per Toyota's own write up and per several threads here that people with 2009-2010 Corollas that added cruise they said all it involves is installing the switch and replacing one wire in the steering wheel. The write up says the worst case scenario is I have to run a wire to the BCM but that the computer is already programmed for cruise.

I've seen several cruise control kits on e-bay brand new in packaging that are going for $199 but I'm sure they are not factory Toyota parts.
You have a brand new car and want to use cheap, e-bay/scam parts? Might not be wise.

Why not just do it right and have a Toyota trained technician handle the job?

Have you inquired at other Toyota dealerships? They aren't all the same.
Seems maybe they are. I want to install a cruise control on a 2012 Corolla here in California and the guy told me the exact same thing, I have to go aftermarket. He did refer me to an aftermarket installer they use.

Hello!

My wife and I just purchased a 2012 Corolla L last night and I noticed on the way home there's no cruise control. I assumed it was included since it came standard with power everything. That's my fault for not checking but not a big deal. We got a GREAT deal on the car! I really, REALLY wanted a 5-speed but the dealer did not have one nor could they find me one in the Gulf States area.

I've read where some people have added the OEM cruise switch and wire to a 2009 and 2010 model. Would it be possible for me to add it to my 2012? Is it already pre-wired for it?

What would the part numbers be for the cruise switch and wire I would need?
Hello,

I sent you a PM also... I am about to purchase a 2013 Corolla L and wondered what conclusion you came to in your cruise add on efforts ?

thanks