Alternator removal on a 4E-FE engine

I had mentioned in another post regarding the problems I had trying to take off a rounded bolt head from an alternator in my 1998 Toyota Corolla 1.3 with the 4E-FE engine. However, the actual process is becoming more problematic, hence this post.

The background to the story is that I started changing the belts on my Corolla on Saturday, and apart from taking the wheel off the first step is to loosen the alternator adjustment bolt. So I do this, and the bolt comes off in my hand. Half of the screw is stuck in the alternator. The screw is actually inside it, so I have to remove it and take it to a friend who can extract the bolt from the alternator. So I then start to undo the bolt at the bottom of the alternator but ended up rounding the bolt head. I have since taken this off.

My problem now is that the alternator is very stiff. And I mean stiff, for me to actually move it from the original position to where it is in the photo I had to get a crowbar and push against it. I'm hovering around 19st 6, and it was a struggle to push it down.

I have absolutely no access at all to screw the other side of the bolt, if I get purchase with my ratchet there isn't enough room to actually twist it or get any strength behind it, and the spanner is too close to other bits and pieces around that bolt. Same with the two bolts that hold the bracket on to the engine block, can't get a ratchet to it or a spanner. I've tried going underneath, but the bolt holding the alternator is directly above the driveshaft.

So, right now I have a car on my drive with an alternator hanging on to the engine bay with a bolt that won't move, or can't be moved. How can I get this alternator off?! It's driving me mad. I was tempted to strap the alternator back to the adjustment bracket, but spinning the pulley on the alternator reveals a squeak. So it's due a bearing, so it really does need to come off.

A friend I've spoken to has suggested putting crowbar in between the alternator and the bracket and levering it, hoping the bolt will break but I'm worried I'll break the bracket too.

Any help would be appreciated. I've a Haynes manual that's vauge than a politician, and trawling through the Internet just rubs salt in to the wounds. Plenty of videos about changing an alternator on a Toyota Corolla - on a 4A-FE engine which has the alternator at the front of the engine and is much easier to get off!

Tags:
xe toyota altis 2016, xe hyundai county, xe toyota camry 2016