Asking for Help

There have been several people on this forum that ask for help. As an experienced mechanic and a car enthusiast, I enjoy helping people out, and have no problem taking time out of my day to help people out on their cars, just as other people have helped me out in the event that I get stuck (it happens to everyone).

However, there are a couple things that I would like to bring up.

1. If you post here asking for a price for a part, or the cost of a repair, we may give estimates. I don't know the market of the area you live in, and therefore, don't know the labor rates. I also don't know the exact cost of every part there is out there. You have to look that up for yourself. Why should I take time out of my day to call shops in your area when you can do that yourself? If you are asking for a good local shop, or asking if a price you were already quoted is a fair price, that is one thing (and if you live in the Escondido or Reno area, I may be able to help with that), but please, don't ask us for prices, because we will tell you to make the calls yourself. Serious, if you don't have tits, I'm not going the extra mile.

2. The only thing that annoys me more than #1, is when I offer help, and it is ignored, overlooked, sneered at, or the response is sarcastic in nature. If you're a douche bag about people taking time out of their day to help you out because they don't have your exact answer that you want to hear, then feel free to take a hike, and good luck finding a forum that will tolerate it or help you out in the future. I don't want that here, and I'm sure most of us that are on here everyday helping people out don't want that here either.

So here in Canada what is the best place to get tires at and what should I pay for them? lol J/K. Seriously though, good post. I find it annoying (and I am not a pro mechanic) when I read post about what should be paid for or what is the going rate on something. there are lots of resources for that answer (internet being one, and good ol' fashioned yellow pages). And yes, I do agree and find it irritating no response can be to a suggestion. Even if the suggestion is not carried out at least respond to it and the person giving advise knows it has been taken into consideration. I can go into a rant on "go fast" parts and all that as well but I don't have enough space ;-)

Last edited:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Hope you are not pointing that at my Direction. I am a stubborn online fool! and proud to tell you right here in a post. I will argue the point because I do things I learned and pass it on with the best tool I have. a video.

so here if you want help I am here to assist. if it is helpful or not. Been there done that. not an online pro, but also not a know it all. google is your friend not me~
Being Polite and kind not rude and sarcastic. No one in the world can read that or type it.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I totally agree DK.

Thank you for the topic and hoping we all can learn more from one another. we do things differently and that makes it a better place especially when we are here! I just wished of the Millions of Corollas wwe see more than 10 people here!