!!! Attention!! 2014 -17 Corolla & IM PCM UPDATE!!

So basically all models produced prior to 2017 in either plants since H stands for 2017. Mine's XFP so 2015 year plant=Mississippi. IS this a recall or do we just drive until our cvts break?

jolly

So basically all models produced prior to 2017 in either plants since H stands for 2017. Mine's XFP so 2015 year plant=Mississippi. IS this a recall or do we just drive until our cvts break?
As I mention in the other thread, assuming this is a TSB (we have only partial view of the document), it is not necessarily related to wide spread problems and even less to recall/service campaign.More like instructions to the mechanic ("If you encounter a car with this condition, this might be the solution"). I've even seen TSB from Toyota about tire rotation and oil change...

Last edited:
Still wack that one of the most reliable vehicles ever made is having these issues. Honestly if I was to go back in time I wouldn’t have bought this car because of the cvt. Wtf was I thinking. Just because it’s a corolla I assumed there was no way anything could go wrong and if it did it’s cheap to fix. Cheap my a$$ 7k cvt replacement. Eff that. Could have went with the manual but of course wife didn’t want to hear that. Strongly thinking about trading it in before powertrain warranty is up.

As I mention in the other thread, assuming this is a TSB (we have only partial view of the document), it is not necessarily related to wide spread problems and even less to recall/service campaign.More like instructions to the mechanic ("If you encounter a car with this condition, this might be the solution"). I've even seen TSB from Toyota about tire rotation and oil change...
Right but even if its Not a wide spread problem you can’t beat on this thing cause:
1) it’s slow and no fun (cvt models)
2) even if you did it feels like this cvt is going to shatter.

Reading about these random failures and seeing the TSB doesn’t help either. I still
Can’t process the fact that toyota charges 6-7 k for a cvt replacement. WTF toyota? Time to get a manual civic or accord since they look and perform better anyway.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Right but even if its Not a wide spread problem you can’t beat on this thing cause:
1) it’s slow and no fun (cvt models)
2) even if you did it feels like this cvt is going to shatter.

Reading about these random failures and seeing the TSB doesn’t help either. I still
Can’t process the fact that toyota charges 6-7 k for a cvt replacement. WTF toyota? Time to get a manual civic or accord since they look and perform better anyway.
I don't know where you're getting your facts from but I have barely seen anyone with CVT problems in the Corolla. I've probably only read 2 or 3 threads where people actually had their transmissions replaced and that can happen to anyone. Whether it be a random failure due or the owner abusing the transmission, no car is perfect. However, 2 or 3 transmission failure threads doesn't mean this transmission is bad yet alone. There are thousands of CVT Corolla's on the road and I've seen some with 100,000-200,000 miles on them so only reading a few threads on a forum doesn't mean every CVT Corolla is now unreliable. You seem to complain a lot over basically nothing... The document above states that the problem is with a sensor that could put up a false code, nowhere does it say that the CVT transmission can break due to this. Honestly, if you want to get rid of your car, do it. Just don't start spreading false info about it because you can't understand how a transmission works. :rolleyes:

Hey ZeCorolla - you're right, I over reacted and although there isn't too much info out there about these CVT failing, still seems like way more than I would like to see. Car is slow and beating on it will fuk the cvt up much quicker compared to manual or even 4sp auto. About not understanding how a transmission works I'll let that one slide but if you're such an expert about these fairly new k313 units then be my guest and enlighten me cause it seems like no one else is able to. There is no info on these units other than some Russian websites which proves my point why no transmission shop, even Toyota dealership feel comfortable with fixing them. Sure replacing the unit is quicker and cheaper per hour so why make something that can potentially go wrong, a freaking tranny, why make it so complex? I don't know, no matter how you slice it I should have went with a manual that's for damn sure.

Hey ZeCorolla - you're right, I over reacted and although there isn't too much info out there about these CVT failing, still seems like way more than I would like to see. Car is slow and beating on it will fuk the cvt up much quicker compared to manual or even 4sp auto. About not understanding how a transmission works I'll let that one slide but if you're such an expert about these fairly new k313 units then be my guest and enlighten me cause it seems like no one else is able to. There is no info on these units other than some Russian websites which proves my point why no transmission shop, even Toyota dealership feel comfortable with fixing them. Sure replacing the unit is quicker and cheaper per hour so why make something that can potentially go wrong, a freaking tranny, why make it so complex? I don't know, no matter how you slice it I should have went with a manual that's for damn sure.
Toyota has used this CVT for many years in Asia with excellent results. I don't think there is any real evidence of the CVT being anything but a very reliable transmission. Toyota has made excellent CVT's in every vehicle that uses one. That being said I don't understand why so many people take the lazy way out and buy the CVT over the 6MT. I drove both in the iM and it was so evident which one was more fun and quicker. So happy that I bought my Corolla iM with the 6MT!

If I was to do it again I would go with a 6 speed mt. I would probably throw a blower on that thing too. IMO not really worth to do any power mods unless it’s a stick.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Supercharged basically said it for me. The K series CVT's have been used for many years in other cars in the Asian markets and they were brought over to the U.S. because they have been proven to be reliable. The only CVT's that I can say to stay away from are the ones from 2010 and newer Nissan's which were junk from the factory. I'd have to say that the CVT's in those cars were what left a bad first impression to car buyers in North America due to their unreliability which is why CVT's aren't a very popular preference but the ones Toyota has made are so far proven to be really good. Like I said, I've seen many people already bring 2014 and 2015 Corolla's with the CVT all the to 100,000 miles and above with no issues. I've even seen a turboed Corolla with a CVT in it that was safely running 5 psi. Now, CVT transmissions are still very new technology so obviously a regular transmission shop wouldn't be familiar with repairing one unless you go to one that specializes in repairing CVT transmissions but my point is that the CVT in the Corolla won't need to be repaired as long as it is treated properly and maintained(which means checking the fluid every so often and having it replaced when needed).

As for whether you wanted a 6 speed because of the fun factor or for modifying, that's personal preference but that doesn't mean the CVT is automatically bad. Just be happy with what you got otherwise trade it in for a manual.

Supercharged basically said it for me. The K series CVT's have been used for many years in other cars in the Asian markets and they were brought over to the U.S. because they have been proven to be reliable. The only CVT's that I can say to stay away from are the ones from 2010 and newer Nissan's which were junk from the factory. I'd have to say that the CVT's in those cars were what left a bad first impression to car buyers in North America due to their unreliability which is why CVT's aren't a very popular preference but the ones Toyota has made are so far proven to be really good. Like I said, I've seen many people already bring 2014 and 2015 Corolla's with the CVT all the to 100,000 miles and above with no issues. I've even seen a turboed Corolla with a CVT in it that was safely running 5 psi. Now, CVT transmissions are still very new technology so obviously a regular transmission shop wouldn't be familiar with repairing one unless you go to one that specializes in repairing CVT transmissions but my point is that the CVT in the Corolla won't need to be repaired as long as it is treated properly and maintained(which means checking the fluid every so often and having it replaced when needed).

As for whether you wanted a 6 speed because of the fun factor or for modifying, that's personal preference but that doesn't mean the CVT is automatically bad. Just be happy with what you got otherwise trade it in for a manual.
I think Nissan uses Jatco and Toyota uses Aisin for CVT manufacturers. Subaru uses Aisin as well. The first Nissan CVTs were a disaster but I heard they're all good now. I wonder if they'll last 300k, 500k miles like a lot of older corollas out there with original power train but I doubt it. Nevertheless I try to think about all the positives of CVT and tickets/accidents/stupid 5hIt it saved me from as opposed to driving a manual and that alone makes me think I decided right but damn it I would love a manual again. One day, one day...

When you say properly maintained, and I have brought this up with my dealership who told me it's a lifetime fluid, no need to do jack. That doesn't sound like properly maintaining. I wonder if anyone reached out to Aisin directly and adked for proper maitenance intervals on k313, if any. From reading some posts it's a pain cause you have to get the fluid level just right and take engine, tranny temp under consideration due to expansion under different temperatures. Maybe that's what Toyota is afraid off. Fu**ing someone's cvt up due to minor deviation from what's recommended. Other manufacturers that use CVT such as nissan, subaru, honda, not sure if they recommend but from reading some forums some replace cvt fluid every 30k miles. Next time I'm there I'm going to push for a cvt oil change while it's still under warranty. This way if they fuk it up they're replacing the damn thing.

Overall if you read forums these days, not only Toyota but most japanese ones there is a new trend and it's CVT this CVT that and a lot of it is people reporting problems. Toyota needs to reach out to Koenigseg and take some notes on how to make a vehicle that doesn't use a transmission. I know hard to believe but they've figured out a way, look it up - forgot which model but it might be all Agera models if not all of them.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
Nice, did you have any service done on CVT? Fluid change perhaps or still original?
I don't know about DJ but if you only do your services at the Toyota dealer, they will always check the life of the fluid every 20-30k km's and when it needs to be changed, they will notify the owner to do it. If you do your own maintenance, it's generally recommended to do it at 100-120k km's.

I try to think about all the positives of CVT and tickets/accidents/stupid 5hIt it saved me from as opposed to driving a manual
Acceleration, whatever the trans, won’t get you a ticket. Over speeding will… which some will manage to achieve driving a Mitsu Mirage 78 HP CVT (like in a school zone) while a Ferrari driver won’t. It’s the driver, not the car. ;)

Other manufacturers that use CVT such as nissan, subaru, honda, not sure if they recommend but from reading some forums some replace cvt fluid every 30k miles.
Nissan has 30K intervals, and it came after their first gen CVT debacle. Not all of those units would need replacement, but a bunch might have suffered initial damage from the bad firmware heat management and are at risk on the long term. It’s both a way to mitigate extended warranty expenses on those… and to finance it also by expanding the “requirement”.

Next time I'm there I'm going to push for a cvt oil change while it's still under warranty. This way if they fuk it up they're replacing the damn thing.
Whether required or not, that would be “maintenance”, not “repairs”, therefore not cover by warranty anyway. And if they F* it up (for instance by using regular AT fluid instead of CVT fluid like seen in some shops :mad:) then their legal responsibility is engaged regardless of warranty. Warranty is for Toyota's responsibility (building the car), not the dealer/mechanic actions. Otherwise, it certainly can’t hurt!

Overall if you read forums these days, not only Toyota but most japanese ones there is a new trend and it's CVT this CVT that and a lot of it is people reporting problems.
Actually, not that many, considering there are more than 1.5 million of them on the road (and that’s just for NA Corolla!). Among them, some reporting “problems” believed to come from the “evil CVT” but not related (cruise control, rattles). Others are true costly horror stories with the OP coming and vanishing as quick, without any follow-up…:confused: The conclusion is yours. That leaves us with no more trouble reported than for any human made object and certainly not more than some DCTs or 9-10 speeds transmission. To see what a “lot of people reporting problems” look like, check Nissan’s forums from 2007…

It’s not only a Japanese thing. Rumor has Chevy Cruze getting a CVT in an effort to make its real life MPG match the optimistic EPA rating obtained because of the turbo. Problematic first units were not only from Japan (Jatco) either: think of Fiat (GM Saturn), ZF (Ford) and Schaeffer (Audi). On the other hand, Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep, were also Nissan-Jatco. Even professional reviewers have gone from “this is a bad car because it has a CVT” to “it’s a good car but it has a CVT” and sometimes even to “I recommend the CVT option”.

Toyota needs to reach out to Koenigseg and take some notes on how to make a vehicle that doesn't use a transmission. I know hard to believe but they've figured out a way
Easy ! The 1500 HP Regera Direct Drive uses electric motors for initial acceleration, then some kind of “super” torque converter couple the ICE with the wheels. It’s a fancy hybrid. Yours for less than $ 2,000,000…:eek: Not for tomorrow in a Corolla! Like the CVT it’s a simple concept but requiring exact and precise execution. I wonder if some people would deem the car as “slow” because they don’t hear constant up/down in revs like they do for CVT. Anyway, both might become obsolete if pure electric cars take the market.