Automatic Transmission Fuid - When to Change?

2010 s model with 60,000 miles dealer says should flush it soon it's tan in color. I do drive in start and stop traffic.

I didn't see it in the recommended service in the Manuel. Dealer wants $200+

It is worth it. Fluid and filter change is cheap compared to a trashed transmission.

You could also do it yourself relatively cheaper. If you are interested there are probably several YouTube videos that cover it.

If the fluid is brown, then that means friction material is beginning to excessively contaminate the fluid.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
been there done that. $200.00

3 qts of fluid, if they do a full change out then it's 7 qts plus, the filter if in the tray, will be worth the change.

so add 3 qts, add the filter the rest is labour.

been there done that. $200.00

3 qts of fluid, if they do a full change out then it's 7 qts plus, the filter if in the tray, will be worth the change.

so add 3 qts, add the filter the rest is labour.
How many miles did you have on yours? I think they said $240 so ive been waiting on a discount or special.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
40K plus on my 10 no trans change yet.

120K plus trans change around 60K plus, we can change out every third oil change but for me todays times have become tough, life is to short to be a perfectionist. do what is best for ya. Car will get a good 200k, or more....

Last edited by a moderator:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Even every third is a lot. Most manufacturers recommend 30,000 miles unless you tow or do a lot of city driving.
And all.

Every third oil change, with following a 10K schedule to add 30K, it is not over kill at all.

to

Every third oil change, with following a 5K schedule to add 15K.

You are changing out 3 qts only, you are not over killing it, but what you are doing is keeping the original mixed in , and I know you'll say contaminating the new fluid! You are extending the fluid till you are ready to change it out fully, which you and most do not do?

To wait to 60K, or do it at your leisure, your choice.

Keeps the transmission clean.

If you have an upgraded kit to your car for towing, or driving stop & go, it all leads to again how you maintain your car.

If you ignore your change, and it goes over the mileage, you may do more harm than good when changing!

Last edited:
That's right, 10,000 mile changes on the 2ZZ.

If I'm not mistaken, the full automatic change includes the torque converter. That oil tends to last longer than the oil cycling through the transmission itself. Most places just do fluid and filter changes. I haven't touched an automatic in years so I am not sure when they recommend a full change.

The oil looks red in color on the dip stick and on a white paper towel it looks like old blood.

And no I never toe anything.

When does the owners manual say change it? I don't even see it in there.

I just don't want to change it if it's not needed.

What I like to know is where is the filter exactly and how to get to!.

On an manual its MTF fluid correct?
The filter is generally covered by the transmission oil pan, held on by three bolts. Gotta remove the pan to change it.

I believe the manual uses gear oil but I would verify that in the manual. Manual transmissions don't need changes, so fortunately you only gotta drain and fill when you are removing it from the car to do the clutch.

Chilton's or Hayne's oughta have a manual out by now for these years.

Typically the filter is behind the pan though. I haven't seen any other automatic transmission that deviates from this.

if its red let it go, if it's brown drain and refill. what ever drains out, replace with the same amount. then next year do the same. i have a 1999 with 166K, with a 3spd and ive drained and refilled once. still have the original screen. there is no AT filter