AUX and USB ports are not working.

Hello everyone, I have searched and searched and cannot find anything related to this topic for my vehicle so I joined the forums here to hopefully get some much-needed answers. I have a 2016 corolla S that I bought used with only 4000 miles. I have owned it for two weeks and since owning it the auxiliary and USB ports do not work. The lighter accessory does work and both heated seats work. When accessing my head unit, the USB button is grayed out and I cannot select it even when a USB Apple Cable is used. This cable works as it charges my phone every night. Also, when I use an auxiliary cord that also works on other devices, my head unit gives no recognition of this cable. It is my understanding that the USB and auxiliary are wired directly to the head unit and are not on separate fuses.

I cannot take this car to a dealership to have them fix it under warranty as this vehicle is not under warranty. Absolutely everything on this vehicle functions as designed except for this so I am at a complete loss as to how to troubleshoot this. I just updated my Entune system and that did nothing. I cannot update the firmware system because When I plug a USB drive into the slot with the new software on it, the system does not register the device.
Where do I go from here?

Maybe it's the fuses that are bad? I once had the aux and cig lighter not working and the fuse fixed it. The box for inside is under the steering wheel near the door. I'm not sure if the USB and aux are in the same fuse but the fuse door explains what's what.

Just random toughts : Have you tried a properly format USB device with music ? Configuration of the phone ? If it's defective, no update will help you...

Did the previous owner have a different stereo installed? If so, the USB connection may not be plugged in all the way.
Entune head units are garbage, mine included. Good idea, bad electronics.

Thanks everyone for your replies. So I went to a junk yard to get a replacement USB/aux jack and when I pulled mine out there were not any wires plugged into it.
I now have my dash apart searching for the missing wires and clip and I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Is it possible Toyota mistakenly never included them....? Everything in this car is stock so I see no reason why these wires would be missing or where they could be hiding.

Well the car was salvaged at 2,000 miles and is now reconstructed at 4,000 miles. It's possible someone bought a brand new car and then immediately replaced a brand new radio but isn't that a little unlikely? Plus, all of the wires and plugs for the stock radio have not been cut, spliced, saudered, re-taped, or anything of the sort.

looks like I may be replacing this factory head unit. Though, I do not know if an issue like a missing aux/USB hook up warrants a new head unit. I have not had the car long enough (only 2 weeks) to tell if this factory set up is garbage or not. If I swapped it for another, I assume I would lose some of the functionality Toyota built into their system. Hmm, I'm stuck.

Anyone find a fix for this? My USB just died and now my 2015 is out of warranty.. Aux works fine, its just the USB. Car is 100% stock and I'm the only owner since driven off the lot.

Kyy

I had this issue. My USB port wasn’t charging and was grayed out on the radio display. I bought a new AUX/USB port, still didn’t work. Checked the fuse, none blown. (After reading an earlier comment in this thread I found out the AUX connects directly into the head unit so checking the fuse wasn’t necessary). Next, I popped off the dash (super easy- videos in Youtube, pulled out the head unit. Sure enough mine was just unplugged by previous owner. If I were to do it over:
1) check connections
2) replace USB/AUX port ($20-$30)

I had this issue. My USB port wasn’t charging and was grayed out on the radio display. I bought a new AUX/USB port, still didn’t work. Checked the fuse, none blown. (After reading an earlier comment in this thread I found out the AUX connects directly into the head unit so checking the fuse wasn’t necessary). Next, I popped off the dash (super easy- videos in Youtube, pulled out the head unit. Sure enough mine was just unplugged by previous owner. If I were to do it over:
1) check connections
2) replace USB/AUX port ($20-$30)
Have a 2017 Corolla just a great piece of JUNK before was loyal to TOYOTA now will not even look at it ( the USB NEVER WORKED) had the whole bunch of other MAYOR FLUKES with this car so I switch MAKER went HONDA and I am a happy camper