Back Up Camera, Finally

I have been wanting and searching for a back up camera for my 2013 Corolla but I never liked the prices on them. For some reason they are not as cheap in Canada as they are in the US, and just the factory harness seemed to be as much or more expensive than cameras available on EBAY. I found one on Crutchfield that is listed for factory Camry, Venza and a few other Toyotas but not listed for Corolla. I liked the price on it and ordered it Aug 16th and It arrived this morning.

I have already checked and the harness plugs in, as I knew it would, to the factory touchscreen head unit I have. I have a few more things to do before I do the install and of course will add all the pics and steps when I get it done.

Last edited:
I have been wanting and searching for a back up camera for my 2013 Corolla but I never liked the prices on them. For some reason they are not as cheap in Canada as they are in the US, and just the factory harness seemed to be as much or more expensive than cameras available on EBAY. I found one on Crutchfield that is listed for factory Camry, Venza and a few other Toyotas but not listed for Corolla. I liked the price on it and ordered it Aug 16th and It arrived this morning.

I have already checked and the harness plugs in, as I knew it would, to the factory touchscreen head unit I have. I have a few more things to do before I do the install and of course will add all the pics and steps when I get it done.
Loo

I finished the install yesterday morning. I took me a few days because I decided to do a few extra things while I was at it. I noticed the heads on the retaining bolts for the trim were rusting, so I cleaned them up, primed, painted and shot a bit of clear on them so the rust would not tarnish my white paint.

My car has smart key with push button start so the touch pad for the trunk is in the middle of the trim, and I had to install the camera off to the left.

the little hole on the left is meant for a plastic push pin the I destroyed when I removed the trim. I did not intent to destroy it but it was to my advantage because I used a rubber grommet and slipped the camera cable trough it.

I used my felt tape around the connection so it would not rattle against the metal.

and here is how it looks.

No pics of the removal of trim as I'm sure many of you know how to do it and if not there is lots out there that can be googled to see how it is done. I removed the lower trim on the drivers side and routed the camera cable along the factory wire loom using zip ties to secure it along routing up into the dash and into the centre console. The camera is meant to be centre mounted but for obvious reasons I could not centre it but the image is not as far off as one would thing, I just have to remember to give some extra space on my right. What I like about this is that it is made for Toyota and it was plug and play. I did not even have to tap for power, it is self contained. I grounded in the trunk and the power is tied into the harness that comes in the kit that gets the power from the radio.