Battery Relocate To The Trunk - Pics

I started to work on moving my battery from under the hood to the truck so I have the room for my remote oil filter relocate. I made some good progress today. I began by selecting the location for mounting the battery in the right rear corner.

I marked the holes to drill and jacked the back up so I could remove the heat shield from above the muffler. The bolts would be above it so I needed the access to be able to tighten them down. Here are some pics of the holes from underneath the car. I painted the holes that I drilled out to prevent any rust issues.

You can see how I had to place it just right to get the bolts in a position that I could get to them!

I bought a battery mount specially for the Optima battery and using this I don't need to use a battery box.

Here you can see the positive 0 gauge wire that I ran from the engine compartment through the car to the trunk.

A test fit and it looks great!

You can see how the battery is held down with this slick hold down.

I tried the carpet so it fits perfectly around the battery like it was meant to be there!

Before reinstalling the muffler heat shield I sprayed some undercoating over the bolts and nuts.

All ready to make the connections now!

After turbocharging my Corolla I want to use an oil cooler. I swapped out the cartridge oil filter for a spin on design so that I can install the oil cooler. When I tried to fit a thermostatic sandwich plate to install the oil cooler there wasn't enough room to position is correctly so that's when I decided to make it easier and do a remote oil filter. This will also move the weight of the battery to the trunk and give me more room to extend my air filter and locate the remote oil filter. If you look at my three about my turbo install I posted pics of this whole process.

I finally had a chance to finish my battery trunk install. Here are some pics. It turned out great and now I want to move my air filter forward to where the battery location used to be.

I used this nut to ground the negative cable to the battery. This is after I cleaned off the paint for a good connection.

After crimping the 0 gauge wire. I bought a special tool on Amazon to do this, well worth it! I also sprayed the ends with battery protector to prevent corrosion.

Here it is with the protective sleeve.

Negative cable connected.

The finished battery with everything hooked up. I used a breaker in the engine bay and trunk vs a fuse. Every shop I spoke to said this is a lot better way to do it. I was't sure where to mount the breaker so for now I attached it to the battery top but I may build a small place to mount it soon. I still need to buy some more plastic wire cover but every thing works!

Here is the location that I want to extend the air filter into, I just need to find some more 3" polished tubing. I'll leave the FIC and breaker in this location for easy access.

Now I can also easily mount my amp amp and sub in my trunk! Easy access to the battery!

Last edited: