Best oil level

Hi guys,

I have a 2008 Corolla. I recently started changing my oil myself. I read on other forums that it's not good to to add so much oil so that it exceeds the maximum mark on the gage.
I was wondering if any of you know if having the level at half point (between the low and high marks) would be preferable or is it better to have the level close to the full mark.

When I was down close to the lower mark, I noticed the car's engine was running smoother (now it's at half point). Maybe I just imagined that too.
I use synthetic 10W30 oil.

Thank you.

Just touch the top mark and you are fine. If you check in the morning you will see more oil and if you check just after stopping the running car you will see less oil. Best is to check in the morning and it should be till the top mark. Dont worry if it is low. it is ok even if it is upto the lower mark.

Just touch the top mark and you are fine. If you check in the morning you will see more oil and if you check just after stopping the running car you will see less oil. Best is to check in the morning and it should be till the top mark. Dont worry if it is low. it is ok even if it is upto the lower mark.
Going over the fill mark a little bit ( 1/4") is no problem !! The dealer always over fills mine.There is room in the oil pan for a little over fill. Too much and then you will have problems. If it it is showing at the lower mark you are obviously using oil and if you dont add oil you will have $$$ problems. Never let your oil get to the lower mark.