Best Random Orbital Buffer

RichardParronIII

2013 Toyota Corolla S
I clean my car the old fashion way, by hand. I would like to purchase a random orbital buffer to see better results when it comes to detailing my car, but I don't know which is the best to purchase. I have a 2013 Toyota Corolla S that has a Black Sand Pearl paint job. So, you already know how hard it is to keep black clean looking! I'm a beginner when it comes to detailing, but don't mind spending the time to learn and detail my car. So, what do you think is the best random orbital buffer?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Unless someone is trained in the proper use of an electric buffer, it's very common to burn swirl marks into the paint with it. I don't recommend them at all.

I save the orbital for old oxidized paint where the good outweighs the possible harm. A 2013 shouldn't need it. Yes black is the hardest to keep clean looking.

HF

RichardParronIII

2013 Toyota Corolla S
I've heard a lot about Porter Cable, but heard its name is what makes it so popular. Others have been talking a lot of great things about Griot, but haven't heard the pro's and con's about both.

Ric

Unless someone is trained in the proper use of an electric buffer, it's very common to burn swirl marks into the paint with it. I don't recommend them at all.
this is why I recommend the porter cable, with this backing plate: http://www.detailersdomain.com/Uber-5-inch-Vented-Dual-Action-Hook-Loop-Backing-Plate_p_762.html

you can see that its vented, to prevent heat build up.

Heres a great write up: http://pnw4runners.com/tando/wax/detail1.htm

Ive used this for years, with no training other than watching youtube and no problems on 3 vehicles now, I buff, wax and polish my buddies Z06 vette and hes anal about his vette lol

RichardParronIII

2013 Toyota Corolla S
Heat is another issue that I read about, vented backplates make sense. I will make sure to get those whenever I decide on what I'm going to purchase. I don't really have a concern for how much it costs or the time that I have to put in, I did it with my 1996 Honda CR-V while I was in Japan.

Ric

you cant go wrong with a Porter Cable, I also have people asking me to buff and wax their car, I just don't have time to do everyone's car lol