Burning rubber smell From bottom of Engine @ 8k

JoshTRD

so recentley I've gotten a smell from my toyotas engine....ill admit i drive my car hard and by hard i mean i love to accelerate a lot.. but i have noticed that overtime i come from a short or long drive there is this present smell that smells of burning rubber....and i have never smelled this until i hit 8k miles... the only upgrades i have to my engine are a short ram intake but i installed that at 7k miles and it has a heat shield...the smell seems to rise from the bottom of the engine up...any ideas? I'm going to try driving with ought my short ram to see if its that...or I'm going to toyota because i mean if it was my hard driving that caused it..why would they add a Sport button????

I had almost the same smell on a car rental I had which was a 2014 altima with a cvt and noticed whenever I would drive it hard it always smelled like something was burning but later I found out it was the transmission where it was coming from.

JoshTRD

I had almost the same smell on a car rental I had which was a 2014 altima with a cvt and noticed whenever I would drive it hard it always smelled like something was burning but later I found out it was the transmission where it was coming from.
you found out it was the transmission? did they ever identify it as a problem to the car or you never found out? i know it was a rental but yea..

I opened the hood and check the belts which I thought that might have been the source of that smell but then I moved towards where the transmission sits and that's where the smell got stronger. I just had another rental car last month and it was a 2015 corolla LE wit the cvt and was driving the shit out of that one but I never did get that smell.

Basically it's a steal belt with like 2 pulleys that expands and contracts in size to change speed think of it has a 18 speed bicycle.

JoshTRD

yea the smell is worrying me ....im sure its no suppose to be there.... ill give it 1k more miles and if smell is still there...than something must be wrong and ill take it in....and i don't believe its the cats....because I've driven to my local gas station and back on a cold start (which is less than a mile) and when i get home...burning smell.....

HanSolo

How are all your fluids doing? The dealer would be the best course of action just to get peace of mind. Btw, did you opt for any anti corrosive treatment plans that dealers typically try to sell you during the paperwork phase of the buying process?

How are all your fluids doing? The dealer would be the best course of action just to get peace of mind. Btw, did you opt for any anti corrosive treatment plans that dealers typically try to sell you during the paperwork phase of the buying process?
no i didn't get a treatment plan or anything....right now i installed my stock intake and gonna see how it runs for a little bit

so recentley I've gotten a smell from my toyotas engine....ill admit i drive my car hard and by hard i mean i love to accelerate a lot.. but i have noticed that overtime i come from a short or long drive there is this present smell that smells of burning rubber....and i have never smelled this until i hit 8k miles... the only upgrades i have to my engine are a short ram intake but i installed that at 7k miles and it has a heat shield...the smell seems to rise from the bottom of the engine up...any ideas? I'm going to try driving with ought my short ram to see if its that...or I'm going to toyota because i mean if it was my hard driving that caused it..why would they add a Sport button????
Same thing happens to me but only when i drive the car hard. I'm pretty sure the smell comes from the brakes when you heat them up so much since you are most likely accelerating to 40-60 then slowing down right after.

Mixer

Same thing happens to me but only when i drive the car hard. I'm pretty sure the smell comes from the brakes when you heat them up so much since you are most likely accelerating to 40-60 then slowing down right after.
Thanks FadeKing91! Doesn't seem to be the brakes though. I can smell burnt like even before braking. It does seem to happen at higher RPM's with either "Sport" or "Manual" options.

Thanks FadeKing91! Doesn't seem to be the brakes though. I can smell burnt like even before braking. It does seem to happen at higher RPM's with either "Sport" or "Manual" options.
I don't think its much of a problem unless you also can say that if you drive your car hard after a while it feels slower or has less power.

We

My Miles are 24k
I drive the car well over 80 each time I get on it and I've only had it for about 7 months now.
I recently added a K&N filter drop in and a Borla exhaust (within this month) and I still don't smell a burning rubber or oil or anything besides the cabin. The cabin smells like metal has been in water. Ice cold then hot since I'm in Arizona .

So sorry bud can't help you there

fishycomics

Super Moderator
From my past experience. Whenever We get a new car I always have a burning smell, that wears out over time. and may not b e noticeable at the start.

This was back when we had spark plug wires, etc...to me it is a electrical smell.

that is what I remember when driving the car, that wears off over time. it can start at 10K and last 10K

I have had the same thing with my Corolla Fielder Wagon 2007 model. It has happened twice over the last few days, both times after descending a hill. As you probably know, if you touch the brakes while descending the CVT kicks in with engine braking (the revs go up). A few seconds later the burning smell arrived. I'm taking it to the local Toyota service guys today. I'll let you know what they say.

I was having a similar smell also. Turned out to be a CV boot leak that was slinging oil onto the heat shield. Took it to Toyota and they replaced it under warranty. No burning smell after.

I was having a similar smell also. Turned out to be a CV boot leak that was slinging oil onto the heat shield. Took it to Toyota and they replaced it under warranty. No burning smell after.
Thanks very much for the tip. I will have it checked out. Two service managers from Toyota dealerships were consulted on the problem, but neither had heard of it.

I've been searching Toyota Corolla 2015, This last time, they told me nothing was wrong and that is "just how the Corolla handles." - during snow, rain, or wind you might as well leave the car in the garage and walk to work (with any sort of wind, at all, the car is pushed around as if I was driving a skateboard, snow or rain is dangerous in this car) Overall: I'm looking for a new car, ASAP. I may even try to lemon this thing. you guys can check it out at auto2000.co.id/
bro wtf stop spamming and just make your own thread geez

^^ Most probable explanation is a plastic bag melted to your exhaust. I have even seen tire chunks become lodged between the exhaust and oil pan or something similar. Check for debris under your car. I really don't think it's coming from your engine, it is possible but I find it to be unlikely. We all know those high hp toyota engine love to rev :cool: