Buying a Corolla - Advice

Hey guys, what's up?

I used to own a 2005 Corolla that I got for my 18th birthday. It came with around 180,000 miles and I drove it to slightly over 200,000 when the starter died. Being young and dumb, I trashed the car and bought a different make. A few boneheaded trades later and I have a 2007 Mini Cooper standard that I can't deal with anymore.

So I am looking to possibly buy another Corolla since my last one served me so well. I'll start off by saying that I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. Nonetheless, I am still concerned enough to take the time to learn about what I need to know before I buy. I was hoping that maybe some members of the forum could help me out.

My budget is $5,000 or less and I need something that will be safe and reliable for at least another 6 or so years (until I finish grad school) and another 100,000 miles. I drive long distances across state lines, for example, so mileage is a hot issue for me. Fitting 2-3 passengers is also important (my Mini fails at this). With these requirements in mind, I came to the conclusion that a Toyota might be a good choice.

But, apart from a general understanding that Corolla's are reliable and can go past 200,000 miles, I am totally lost. What model years should I look at? What red flags should I watch out for? How can I be sure that I'm getting one that was well taken care of? What is the maintenance schedule like? Should I take it to the dealer or an independent mechanic for maintenance and repairs? Should I bother spending money to have it inspected before buying? Where should I look for Corollas that are for sale (besides Craigslist)?

I really appreciate the help and if there's any more information I could add, please let me know.

Why u just don't lease a new corolla? But the only problem is you'll only be able to drive 12,000 miles per year to lease . Do u drive over that amount a year ?

Hey guys, what's up?

I used to own a 2005 Corolla that I got for my 18th birthday. It came with around 180,000 miles and I drove it to slightly over 200,000 when the starter died. Being young and dumb, I trashed the car and bought a different make. A few boneheaded trades later and I have a 2007 Mini Cooper standard that I can't deal with anymore.

So I am looking to possibly buy another Corolla since my last one served me so well. I'll start off by saying that I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. Nonetheless, I am still concerned enough to take the time to learn about what I need to know before I buy. I was hoping that maybe some members of the forum could help me out.

My budget is $5,000 or less and I need something that will be safe and reliable for at least another 6 or so years (until I finish grad school) and another 100,000 miles. I drive long distances across state lines, for example, so mileage is a hot issue for me. Fitting 2-3 passengers is also important (my Mini fails at this). With these requirements in mind, I came to the conclusion that a Toyota might be a good choice.

But, apart from a general understanding that Corolla's are reliable and can go past 200,000 miles, I am totally lost. What model years should I look at? What red flags should I watch out for? How can I be sure that I'm getting one that was well taken care of? What is the maintenance schedule like? Should I take it to the dealer or an independent mechanic for maintenance and repairs? Should I bother spending money to have it inspected before buying? Where should I look for Corollas that are for sale (besides Craigslist)?

I really appreciate the help and if there's any more information I could add, please let me know.
I have a 2003 Corolla that has been "tricked out" for sale $5000 136325 miles