Buying advice for used Corolla

Hello all,

I am in the market for a used compact sedan for my daily driver to help me save on gas. I drive 410 miles between Monday and Friday, and am in need of good fuel economy. I am budgeting $3000 for the vehicle and would like for it to have 150k or less miles, 5-speed tranny (auto is OK for the right price) and no major issues. I am thinking about something between 2002 and 2006, mostly because I don't want its age to make it very costly for major repairs; but if it has low miles and received regular maintenance, I am OK with an older model year. I don't really care about perks so-to-speak (except for A/C and cruise), as long as it has decent acceleration and can get me from point A to point B.

I am also considering buying a used Civic but have heard a lot about problems with excessive road noise. Are there any major problems that Corollas are notorious for, or were they just engineered better than Civics? I understand that most Corollas have slightly less powerful engines than Civics, but that is not a major consideration for me as I am looking to save gas, not burn it as quick as possible.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Soltero

(Also posted here: http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/buying-advice-for-used-corolla.6181/)