Check Engine Light On - What Are the Possibilities?

Check Engine light, what are the possibilities?

Just got my 2003 Corolla back from a transmission reseal, while they were at it they put in a new front seal around the timing case cover somewhere, and a new rack and pinion assembly $2,600 plus a few bucks. Of course it may be related to the recent repairs. I just bought my wife a new Honda Fit and I sold my 2009 Rav 4 to pay for most of that, and I took her old car because I really only need a car for shopping and doctors visits etc. I rolled the dice and tried to eek another few years of light local driving, maybe it was a bad gamble, maybe not.

Any knowledgeable Toyota fixers out there have any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

desertbluesman - There is a good probability that the auto center that performed the $2,600 in repairs on your Corolla did something, accidentally bumped a wire connection, etc., that is causing the check engine light to come on. I recommend going back to them and saying, "I just spend $2,600 on repairs here with you and now the check engine light in my car has turned on. What's going on?" Seeing that you just spent so much money with them on repairs for your car and it is indeed possible that something they did is causing the check engine light to come on, (there are transmission issues that will turn on the check engine light), they should be willing to scan your Corolla's onboard computer with their scanner for free. Your Corolla's onboard computer will send a signal to the scanner with a numerical code that will indicate what is causing the check engine light to come on. If they aren't willing to do this for free, go elsewhere to have the scan done and if when the scan is done it indicates something that auto center did is causing the check engine light to come on, they should make the repair for free, as they caused the problem.

Also you can go to any Advance Auto Parts or Autozone and they will also scan the onboard computer for free. Keep in mind though that the staff at these stores tends to be very young, underpaid and inexperienced, so the advice you receive might not be correct.

I've been in the auto repair/maintenance industry for 30 years now and it is very unusual that a vehicle as reliable as a Corolla needs $2,600 in repairs. I hope you are dealing with a reputable auto center?

Last edited:
I think the auto center is the most reliable of the three I went to to diagnose the problem. They took out the whole engine/trans assembly and sent the trans off to a re-builder for resealing. Watching them work for a little while I saw that the cost for the new rebuilt rack and pinion, the seal on the timing case cover, and the transmission reseal was reasonable considering the floor space and labor costs (I am a masonry estimator so I can look at costs easily and calculate the expenses). I am thinking it might be something they did. They are reputable, I have done biz with them before, and they stand behind their work. Having a problem once with a reseal they did a few years back, they fixed if right away under warantee.

I live in the Phoenix Arizona area, and it regularly gets very hot here in the summer many times over 115* F and the wife was always out in town running that car on shopping trips etc., it is also very low humidity here which dries out anything that is petroleum based. I suspect the heat and low humidity is the culprit. Anyways I am hoping to find an easy solution to this problem because I really don't want to purchase another car. I am 71 years old and don't think I need a new car, but if push comes to shove I will get one. And I am being pushed by this Corolla, another shove or two and off I go to the Toyota or Honda dealer for another car for the wife and I will take her 2013 Honda Fit which is the perfect run around town car. The thing is getting 28 mpg in town and mt bud has one and he gets 36 to 38 on the California highways. I will call the garage Monday morning and see what they say about a diagnostic.

The service center that repaired my car a few weeks back is going to plug in at noon today. They are plugging in at no cost just to check if it is their fault.

They plugged in today, they say it is something to do with pollution, can't leave it there today. I have to take the car into Toyota for the passenger air bag recall tomorrow at 10:00 Am. The mechanic who did the repairs a few weeks back was leaving early and could not guarantee it would be done today, he will be there 1st thing Wednesday morning. I sure hope it is something simple (and relatively inexpensive) So I have the appointment with the garage first thing Wednesday morning.

What was the trouble code(s) they found? We can look this up and tell you what it is. Did they tell you? If not, before doing another thing have the computer scanned by Advance Auto Parts or Autzone, (again they will do this for free), and post the trouble code(s) they found here. We can help.

They may be trying to stroke you for more money. Please be very careful. The auto repair business is rife with crooks.

Thanks, I am hoping they act like they usually do. They ain't cheap, but they do seem honest and also they do stand behind their work. If the diagnosis turns out to be a large dollar item, I will put off the repair, until I absolutely know for sure they got it right, by double checking with Auto Zone and bringing the code back here to this forum.

I can't get my car passed through the smog check that we have to do every second year, if there is a code error. And I am due in April (I think) to get another one, if it fails I can get a "pass" for some small dollar amount for one extra year.

If I get a year and a few months out of this car, and can sell it in one years time for a grand or so under private seller cost, disclosing all it's troubles to some fix it guy, I will feel like the $2600 Trans/rack&pinion/timing case cover oil leaks charges were worth the risk. Then it will be new car time for desertbluesman. I will get the wife a new Corolla or Civic, and take her 2013 Honda fit that we just bought her. I love that little Fit and it is a perfect get around town car and gets excellent mileage in town and on the highway.

Last edited:
A hundred fifty one bucks for the diagnostic and repair. Gas cap and some hose clamps, and the time on the machine. It had three fault codes on the repair order, and they took some time to find and fix them. All in all they did not hurt me too bad. Fingers crossed I can get a year or two outta this Corolla without gettin nickle and dimed to bankruptcy. I would post the codes but they are out in the car buried under tons of stuff in the glove box and it is chilly out there. Something to do with the evap system and blowing smoke through the system to diagnose. Anyways the light is off, I drove it 50 miles or so in town and out on the freeway after, and Monday I take it back in to see if any faults showed up after that road work.