Checking Oil

When I insert my oil dipstick I feel some pressure, like it's bending.
Also when I pull it out, oil is all over the bottom, it requires a very quick insert and remove procedure to get the proper level, otherwise oil is all over the dipstick way higher than the high mark.
Does everyone have this issue, I'm wondering if maybe something is wrong with mine only, I don't see anyone else complaining? I asked the dealer to check it and show me what the level is and even the guy working there couldn't do it. all over the place, slides down quick, hard to get an accurate level.

Without any specifics about your vehicle, it sounds a lot like the oil levels are overfilled.

What did "the guy" say about it?

Exco
2014 Corolla.
I did the oil change myself and added the perfect amount.. same issue every time.. I add about 4.3 quarts.. it should be just about full.. to get that shown on the stick is difficult.
I'm just wondering if others are having the same issue.. probably not many people check the oil level?

The guy was puzzled, and basically rolled his eyes.. couldn't give me an explanation or show me the level of oil. I eventually figured out the procedure of getting the level and I made a video:

but now I wonder, maybe this is a problem only I have.. because it sure seems strange Toyota would make such a problematic dip stick..
Although it is very cheap how it doesn't have crosshatches at the bottom, that helps trap oil and show the level easily.

I have Subaru Forester, which seem to have similar dipstick design.

The resistance is because the dipstick goes in at an angle and with a bend.

Every time you insert and pull out the dipstick, oil is drawn up and left in dipstick tube. That is why you will see oil higher up on the dipstick. I don't know if inserting and pulling fast is the best method.

On the Subaru forum, the suggestions are:
  • Do the oil check first thing in the morning. Or let the car sit for couple hours before making measurement. You do not wipe and re-insert the dipstick. Just get the reading after you pull out dipstick 1st time.
  • Look at the top-side, not bottom-side, of dipstick. Your dipstick goes in at an angle. Because oil sticks to bottom side of the tube as you draw out the dipstick, you will see that top-side of dipstick has correct measurement; whereas bottom-side of dipstick has oil higher up on dipstick. In your video, you rotated your dipstick, so you are looking at the bottom-side.

I have Subaru Forester, which seem to have similar dipstick design.

The resistance is because the dipstick goes in at an angle and with a bend.

Every time you insert and pull out the dipstick, oil is drawn up and left in dipstick tube. That is why you will see oil higher up on the dipstick. I don't know if inserting and pulling fast is the best method.

On the Subaru forum, the suggestions are:
  • Do the oil check first thing in the morning. Or let the car sit for couple hours before making measurement. You do not wipe and re-insert the dipstick. Just get the reading after you pull out dipstick 1st time.
  • Look at the top-side, not bottom-side, of dipstick. Your dipstick goes in at an angle. Because oil sticks to bottom side of the tube as you draw out the dipstick, you will see that top-side of dipstick has correct measurement; whereas bottom-side of dipstick has oil higher up on dipstick. In your video, you rotated your dipstick, so you are looking at the bottom-side.
Thanks for the info Jimmy. I tested with the car having sat overnight and yes the top part of the stick shows the level perfectly, but the underside is kind of smeared.. I've been using my method and it has worked, but yeah I don't like it very much because it seems hit and miss. That advise is actually much easier to follow. I'll have to see now how many minutes it takes until it is ok to check once turned off.