Click in Engine

hello everyone I am new to the forum I just bought myself a 1996 corolla dx and the motor has an audible tick it kind of disturbs me but the engine performs nicely is it something to worry about

Last edited:
hey my names marco
your lifters a noisy give the car a service oil oil filter and make sure you put a thicker oil in it should fix your problem

25w 50 for old engines use that oil , well if the valves were hitting it would make not just a tick noise it would sound like a hammer hitting metal very hard in a way would be loud before you go out to a mechanic shop and get him to rip half your engine apart change the oil cost you know more than 50$ if you do it urself work shops looking at about 150 - 200$ change the oil then let it run then let me know

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
hello everyone I am new to the forum I just bought myself a 1996 corolla dx and the motor has an audible tick it kind of disturbs me but the engine performs nicely is it something to worry about
It depends on the cause of the noise and there's no way to diagnose that over the Internet, beyond taking a wild guess.

How many miles does the engine have on it? Is this tick constant or is it only at start up?

Using thicker oil is a big no-no and will cause accelerated engine wear, a reduction in fuel economy, performance and an increase in emissions.

It depends on the cause of the noise and there's no way to diagnose that over the Internet, beyond taking a wild guess.

How many miles does the engine have on it? Is this tick constant or is it only at start up?

Using thicker oil is a big no-no and will cause accelerated engine wear, a reduction in fuel economy, performance and an increase in emissions.

not only that, it acts as a band-aid. something inside is still hitting

valves would be a later guess not my first. for 1.) the car would run like ASS because the valves would be getting bent and not holding combustion.

or they slapped the piston... which would lead to what i just said.

could just be a loud valve train. i silenced a lifter on my 88 ram buy putting a few drops of trans fluid on it... it won't hurt anything at that low amount of fluid. (the drop or two)

on the 05 Focus I have... the valve train is just LOUD. like annoyingly but it's "normal"

Record the sound and post it up here, I bet it's actually the classic exhaust manifold crack that our cars are susceptible to. Although if your mechanic is any good at all he would have been able to tell the difference.

As for valve issues. You can adjust the cam lobe to lifter clearance but you do it by replacing shims. I would just move up to one level thicker oil. i.e. if you're using 5w20, go to 10w20 / 10w30. (On older cars it's not a huge deal because the clearances aren't as tight, but yes, if you put 20w50 in a brand new car that needs 5w20 it's going to be toast.)

An easy solution is to try adding some Lucas oil stabalizer.

Also, it's not a big deal... If it's a quiet tick. If it gets really loud, then worry about it.

hi joey thanks for response i listened to the other posts and put thicker oil I used 10w40 it was the heat of summer it didnt seem to make much difference I just changed it again this time used castrol synthetic 5w30 it seems happier and the tick sounds the same no matter what oil I use I would love to post the sound here i just dont know how though