Collapsed Corolla

I just bought this car back in February and had it checked by a mechanic. The previous owner cheaped out on brake pads so he told me to periodically check the front left brake pad to see if a "shim" has came lose. To my stupidity I attempted to do that today, placed the jack in the correct spot as shown in the user manual and continued to lift the car, after the nuts on the wheel were loosened. During lift the jack fell over; car collapsed. Pretty frustrated right now. Lifted the car back up and put the wheel right back on.

After checking to make sure everything was safe I decided to drive it slowly around the block to see if it was ok, it's not. The brakes make a ear piercing screeching noise and the wheel makes a continuous scratch/screech variable by how fast I'm going. Car also takes way longer to stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may have happened? I'm too frightened and angry at myself right now to go suspend it again but would like to know any thoughts on what may have broken.

Attachments

I just bought this car back in February and had it checked by a mechanic. The previous owner cheaped out on brake pads so he told me to periodically check the front left brake pad to see if a "shim" has came lose. To my stupidity I attempted to do that today, placed the jack in the correct spot as shown in the user manual and continued to lift the car, after the nuts on the wheel were loosened. During lift the jack fell over; car collapsed. Pretty frustrated right now. Lifted the car back up and put the wheel right back on.

After checking to make sure everything was safe I decided to drive it slowly around the block to see if it was ok, it's not. The brakes make a ear piercing screeching noise and the wheel makes a continuous scratch/screech variable by how fast I'm going. Car also takes way longer to stop.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what may have happened? I'm too frightened and angry at myself right now to go suspend it again but would like to know any thoughts on what may have broken.
You probably damaged the wheel bearing / tie rods. The impact may have also messed up the brake caliper. You need to go get all of that checked and you will need a new alignment afterwards. It doesn't look too severe, but without seeing the parts behind the wheel, it is hard to tell.