Coolant

05corolla

Super Moderator
My brother a mechanic said I was low and added GM dexicool. I have A feeling this is wrong and want to have it flushed. What coolant should be used?

My brother a mechanic said I was low and added GM dexicool. I have A feeling this is wrong and want to have it flushed. What coolant should be used?
That's not the correct coolant and can cause the coolant to turn to a mud-like consistency, plugging up the cooling system. GM Dexcool is for GM vehicles only. Flushing the cooling system would be a good idea. Whatever auto center does the cooling system flush, they should be able to look up the proper coolant for you.

Now, the big question is, why was the coolant low? There's a leak somewhere.

Your brother must have been mad at you! That reminds me of one time when my brother who drives a Honda asked if a quart of oil my dad had in the garage for his race car was the right kind (it was some crazy weight stuff) and I told him that all oil was universal :laughing:

Anyways, you want to get that flushed NOW, you need the red stuff, and GM oil is green.

Well actually, the pink stuff is probably what you should get, it's the premix coolant/antifreeze