Corolla Exhaust Broken Off in Front of Muffler

pvs58

I saw my exhaust has broken off in front of the muffler, where there is a clamp. I have a Made in Canada 2005 Corolla LE, 5spd. It looks fairly benign. My mechanic has told me the entire exhaust system is "one-piece" and needs to be replaced from the catalytic converter, to the end, even though he admits most of the parts are fine. He made a special point of saying it was special, a Made in Canada Corolla (which arouses my suspicions immediately). It's a bad spot for sure, right in front of the clamp, but an entire $800.00 exhaust system, not including Labor? Does this pass the sniff test?

It absolutely does not pass any test whatsoever. My day to day car is a mustang. It has 204,000 miles on it and runs perfectly thanks to a similar exhaust repair two days ago. You need to take it to a real muffler shop like I did. Muffler shops (this one is a mom and pop shop) have welders that Midas and dealerships just don't keep on hand or use much. It's not their style. Get this - my exhaust was broken a few inches in front of the catalytic converter. A better way of saying it is that my exhaust manifold end was snapped off. A few inches short of the end of the exhaust manifold (away from the engine now, right where it connects to the next pipe, which is the cat/pipe) it just snapped off - as in a short 3-inch long tube was bobbing around in the fitting of the cat pipe connection. So nothing fell off or down, it just exhausted there and sounded like a bad Harley. The Muffler shop I took it to welded the thing right up. $55! No kidding. but Ozzy did tell me had it been the other side, I would have been looking at some serious labor charges because he wouldn't have been able to get the welder in there. So you need a grungy mom and pop shop. Hunt around, friend. Someone out there can do that simple job. Steer clear of those utterly worthless chain shops. Geez they're pathetic.

Found a middle section

The mechanic found a middle-section. I got an unneeded resonator but was able to save the catalytic converter and muffler repair for when they are actually needed. Total price was $334.00. He had to do some hunting and it looks like he cut it in and used an adapter on the end of the cat to attach the new middle section.

Corolla exhaust repairs -

Thanks, I probably could have had him weld that spot but it's a really bad spot right at the clamp in front of muffler. He didn't make much money on it, but like I said, had to get a new resonator I didn't need. However $334.00 is better than $1000.00. So I agree with your great post about finding a real shop.