Corolla expenses adding up

2010 Corolla with over 320,000 km. Alternator had to be replaced for about $700 CAD. Here is the most unexpected replacement, the catalytic converter for $1,600 CAD. The cats are made to last at least 10 years. Properly maintained at same dealership. In addition repaired a few other items for over $700 - all coming in 2019. Is this expected?

Not really, alternator is one of the easiest big engine parts to change since its up on top. Could have got a re-manufactured one for $140 from autozone, $180 if you wanted a lifetime warranty. Your cat probably just needed the 02 sensors shimmed with a washer. I would never go back to that dealer again, that's nuts. They rewarded your loyal patronage with price gouging.

This guy changes it out while holding a camera in 4 minutes:

fishycomics

Super Moderator
What owning a car is all about, general maintenance. not handy in doing something simple and people out there will show how to's and that helps all out? WOnder what you will do when your brakes needs servicing?

delrey

Um, any car that is 10 years old with 200,000 miles (320k km in your case) should be expected to need parts to be replaced. Major parts will not last forever. I do not see anything out of ordinary here.

The cats are made to last at least 10 years.
And guess what? Your car is 10 years old. You gotta figure that 200,000 miles in 10 years is 20k miles a year. That is a bit higher than average. This kind of wear should be expected for this age and miles.

What you are experiencing though is one of the many reasons people buy a newer car. So I guess pick your battle. Car payment or higher maintenance costs. Good luck with your repairs.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
All those commercials we see. I wonder if getting that contract out. then canceling woul have paid that repair bill. always a catch to them. we'll pay the bill, you pick the shop. but the catch was mileage....