Corolla vvti 1.4 2003 squealing sound coming from the right of engine behind the air filter manifold

tomf

2003 1.4 TERRA 4DR Manual Toyota (EU) Corolla, E12

Hey guys, hope this hasn't been covered in another thread but I really have searched in every way I can think of, it certainly doesn't help that I don't know the name of the parts in question and can't identify them by searching online.
I have put a link to a Youtube video below (which I just uploaded) of the area the sound is coming from. it's a fairly high pitched sound so i don't think you can really hear it in the video, which does no justice to how annoying it actually is and obviously the potential problems it posses. Even if it poses no problems (which I highly doubt) I'm still keen to get it sorted.
Also I attached some pictures of the part I think the sound is coming from but it could be coming from below that, I tried to capture the area below in the video.

PROBLEM
A squealing sound coming from the area to the right of the engine behind the air filter manifold. I can't hear it all the time when driving, it does seem to get worse when I've been driving for a while and even then its pretty faint but definitely noticeable. once its started making the sound it tends to continue until I stop and drive again.

If I start the car after its been parked I can only hear it if I open the hood and listen directly to that area, my ears have to be probably about 1 to 2 foot away. If I rev the engine it does become more noticeable.

If anyone could identify the parts in that area above and below, suggest some possible causes of the problem, ways to identify the cause of the problem and ways to fix the problem that would be great. I would be forever in your debt :)

20161213_002020.jpg
20161213_001041.jpg 20161213_001237.jpg

Attachments

tomf

Spoke to the garage down the road and they said it can't be the part I specified because that is the Air Vacuum, Does that sound right to any of you?

They also pointed out that the gearbox is below that which would most likely be the cause of the problem, but when they took it for a spin they though it all seemed fine, what do you think?

tomf

just went for a drive and the screeching is pretty loud, it does sound like the fan belt from inside the car, possibly one of the pulleys. contrary to what i said earlier it is not constant once it has started, but it can be sometimes. it comes and goes. any suggestions?

tomf

I have narrowed it down to the pulleys, | think.
so the sound is coming from the left of the engine. I think I may of been making something out of nothing when I thought it was coming from the right of the engine (trying to listen to close for something that wasn't there, because when I'm driving and the sound occurs it is fairly loud, I reckon you could definitely hear it if I drove past you)

As I've said before the sound can come and go, usually when it is making the sound for an extended amount of time it is intermittent.
It tends to happen when I am driving straight or holding the steering wheel in the same position like going around a long bend.
If I press the brakes or sharply turn the steering wheel it tends to stop the sound but once I release the brakes or straighten the steering wheel the sound will continue.

thanks

I had a case on my 2005 Corolla S that has a squeal coming from the engine compartment. Turned out that the serpentine belt tensioner pully had a bad bearing. Replaced the tensioner fully and the sound went away.