Cost of New Corolla & New vs. Used

I live in NE FL. Corollas are not in ads much. While, down in Orlando they are.
I have seen them priced at $15K, for a new one. Dealers where I live claim
that's not gonna happen. They want about $18K. That's a lot for what I
would call a compact economy car. Toyota cars & trucks have increased a
lot in price. I paid $7K for an 8100 truck in 1993. In 2002, I bought a Tacoma
for $11K. Now that same truck is $18K! In FL the tax is 7% and title fee is
$400....ouch that hurts.

Used prices are way out of sight. A 2 yr old Corolla, with 35K miles, is priced
at $15K. As much as a new one. This makes no sense to me. I think that's
a function of the large number of immigrants the US has every yr and a lot
more people with real bad credit.

Any ideas on how to get a low price on a new Corolla or Tacoma? I'm disabled and have a very limited income.

Well, you are obviously internet connected, try Autotrader, filter years 2009-2012, new and used. You did say new, so the 'internet sales person' for each dealer will have prices listed, that was how we got our best price. Maybe a clearance on a '12.
Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
For anyone wondering, I rented a Corolla over a weekend. It's almost as nice
as a Camry. In fact, there's not really that much diff. A little less power, but
other than that. There is not that much difference really.

There is a shortage of used cars

What is the $400. fee for in Florida? I was looking at a 1999 Prizm in Tarpon Springs a month ago and the car lot guy laid that " $400. for tags" number on me. I thought he was making it up. <g>

That recent Sandy Storm, and some others with heavy flooding involved, apparently destroyed a lot of used cars. So the normally available volume of good used cars is way down. The dealers are pricing accordingly.

I have a 2006 Corolla with about 55K on it that the dealer calls to buy, or have me trade in, several times per month. I wanted an additional car to use in Florida and, after finding that people in Florida apparently beat the crap out of cars and then want to sell the remaining junk for high dollars, I recently bought a 1993 Corolla in Philadelphia for $1575. That seemed like a lot to me but the car is very well kept, is in excellent shape, and has all new rotors and brakes on it. And as I said; the used market is very tight right now. In general I would never pay more than 30-40% of the cost of a new car on an old car.

PHM
-------

I live in NE FL. Corollas are not in ads much. While, down in Orlando they are.
I have seen them priced at $15K, for a new one. Dealers where I live claim
that's not gonna happen. They want about $18K. That's a lot for what I
would call a compact economy car. Toyota cars & trucks have increased a
lot in price. I paid $7K for an 8100 truck in 1993. In 2002, I bought a Tacoma
for $11K. Now that same truck is $18K! In FL the tax is 7% and title fee is
$400....ouch that hurts.

Used prices are way out of sight. A 2 yr old Corolla, with 35K miles, is priced
at $15K. As much as a new one. This makes no sense to me. I think that's
a function of the large number of immigrants the US has every yr and a lot
more people with real bad credit.

Any ideas on how to get a low price on a new Corolla or Tacoma? I'm disabled and have a very limited income.

That recent Sandy Storm, and some others with heavy flooding involved, apparently destroyed a lot of used cars. So the normally available volume of good used cars is way down. The dealers are pricing accordingly.

PHM
-------
Destroyed a LOT of cars, new and used. Created a demand for new and used cars, sellers market. Economics 101. Wait a few months, if you can.

adan_20

Ensuring my vehicle looked good

Destroyed a LOT of cars, new and used. Created a demand for new and used cars, sellers market. Economics 101. Wait a few months, if you can.
I completely agree with this statement. Personally, when I am trying to find a brand new car, I wanted something that was really good looking and had a ton of room. I came across the automobile I needed at a website I found here. The website then pointed me to the nearest Scion car dealership that had the best deal. Best regards guys. By the way, I pictured below my car. Thanks for viewing it.

Last edited: