Cruise control install complete(2015 L)

Congrats! In this day and age of drive by wire electronic throttle bodies, it makes me wonder when cruise control is not standard across all the trim levels with some makes.

In all honesty, I didn't even notice that it was there until the day after purchase. I'm ok spending a few bucks on the features I need, if I don't have to spend them stepping up to the model with the features I don't.
There wasn't anything other than the cruise I needed from the step up, so spending 13K on a car, and another $20 on the part was well worth it, vs $15.5K

Item was http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Cruise-...xus-/181783795406?hash=item2a532896ce&vxp=mtr
Which interestingly enough was the actual toyota part, not an off brand, I would expect that was a fluke, but hey, not going to complain. Lowes had the machine screws needed, another couple bucks, and the side panel was drilled instead of purchasing a new one, only 10 bucks to replace, but it's really not needed if you have a large enough bit.
Seriously...5 min job, took longer to find the 10mm wrench for the battery, gave up on that and just braved it.

rk97

I know this procedure has been detailed elsewhere, but are you saying you removed the airbag without disconnecting the battery? I have been led to believe that is required to install cruise.

I'm extremely interested in adding cruise to my 2003 CE model...

Correct, 3 clips and it's out. Contrary to popular belief, the airbag is not going to go off if you hit the steering wheel hard enough or pull it out. You would have to directly short out the terminals on the back of the airbag for that to happen. It doesn't hurt for peace of mind, but you're not going to accidentally trigger the thing without a LOT of effort. On the 2014/2015 at least, you just lift the airbag up and push out of the way, don't even need to remove it's harness.

rk97

Correct, 3 clips and it's out. Contrary to popular belief, the airbag is not going to go off if you hit the steering wheel hard enough or pull it out. You would have to directly short out the terminals on the back of the airbag for that to happen. It doesn't hurt for peace of mind, but you're not going to accidentally trigger the thing without a LOT of effort. On the 2014/2015 at least, you just lift the airbag up and push out of the way, don't even need to remove it's harness.
Fair enough. I suppose i'm thinking of it more along the lines of firearm safety... "treat it like it's loaded, and don't point it at anything you don't want to put a hole in." But by that logic, simply driving the car would be dangerous... How hard was the installation? You said 10 minutes. What level of expertise (or lack thereof) do you have when it comes to working on cars?

I'm more concerned about buying the wrong part than not being able to install it once I get it, but I still don't want to waste $200 on something I can't figure out how to install... I also have an airbag recall that I need to have done. May just ask teh dealership to quote me on installation while they have the steering column apart.

Literally it's a matter of taking a screwdriver, pressing in 3 clips, airbag pops off the front of the wheel, slide on to of steering column, pop decorative cover from side of steering column, slide switch in place, 2 screws hold it in. Push connector on, and snap everything back in place, there are a couple threads on here with all the part # info