CVT

Hello I am new to the forum. Looking for a low mile used car and the 2014-2019 corolla S fits the bill. However I am not 100 convinced on cvt transmissions since I keep my cars till they go to the junkyard when done. So I see Toyota has some campaign going on with 2014-2017 where software upgrades fix the cvt shift positions but the solenoid can also be damaged hence a new tranny. I also see on the net that they corrected it in 2018. ??? Hard to find a stick unless I leave Massachusetts. Please any info on the years to stay away from? My 2 Honda civics I own have conventional transmissions with a drain plug. Both have over 200K with no tranny issues. I really like to corolla as my next car but concerned with CVT. Thanks

jolly

I am not 100 convinced on cvt transmissions
Though less common in NA vs the rest of the world, CVT have been around for about as long as regular automatics. The ones in the 11th gen Corolla (and some 12th gen variants) are 10 years old (7 years in NA) and build by Aisin-Toyota That says something, since neither Consumer Reports, TrueDelta or JD Power noticed a decline in reliability. You’ll find a couple of blown ones on forums, but nothing out of proportion compared to any regular automatic or other mechanical device. And nothing compare to Nissan-Jatco units that gave the CVT is bad reputation for some.

There was a “service campaign” for a firmware update (2014-2017). Firmware may vary depending on models/areas.

It’s not clear if it was related to the «fake shift points» (and/or the paddle shifting option in some “S”) that Toyota added to mimic a regular automatic so that reviewers wouldn’t be so put off by the way a CVT normally work, without constant rpm variation, which some associate with lesser performance. Actually, the Corolla CVT performs better and smoother than the ones with 4AT (still available in base “L” variant in 2014-2015). Anyway, the issue was premature wear. In actuality, not so many were already affected, in which case Toyota provide repair (valve body control replacement).

Don’t be baffled by posts on forums blaming Toyota for alleging “lifetime fluid”. It’s a urban legend and not what the maintenance schedule says. Recommendation is the same as for any other Toyota automatic transmission: fluid change at 60K (severe service), or when required upon inspection (every 30K). Inspection is visual (for leaks) and data to check if the transmission overheated at some point, which is the first enemy CVT fluid. And CVT are very particular about fluid. It’s the key to longevity and sometimes the “unknown” factor when buying used.

Some models may also have a recall to replace a faulty airbag wire harness from supplier ZF (many manufacturers affected). If you know the VIN of the unit you want to buy, you can check pending recalls/campaigns here https://www.toyota.com/recall . Some “S” with navigation integrated to the radio head unit also suffer from freezing units, with no particular extended warranty to cover it. All in all, I'm very satisfied with mine (LE Eco 2014). Good luck.

Though less common in NA vs the rest of the world, CVT have been around for about as long as regular automatics. The ones in the 11th gen Corolla (and some 12th gen variants) are 10 years old (7 years in NA) and build by Aisin-Toyota That says something, since neither Consumer Reports, TrueDelta or JD Power noticed a decline in reliability. You’ll find a couple of blown ones on forums, but nothing out of proportion compared to any regular automatic or other mechanical device. And nothing compare to Nissan-Jatco units that gave the CVT is bad reputation for some.

There was a “service campaign” for a firmware update (2014-2017). Firmware may vary depending on models/areas.

It’s not clear if it was related to the «fake shift points» (and/or the paddle shifting option in some “S”) that Toyota added to mimic a regular automatic so that reviewers wouldn’t be so put off by the way a CVT normally work, without constant rpm variation, which some associate with lesser performance. Actually, the Corolla CVT performs better and smoother than the ones with 4AT (still available in base “L” variant in 2014-2015). Anyway, the issue was premature wear. In actuality, not so many were already affected, in which case Toyota provide repair (valve body control replacement).

Don’t be baffled by posts on forums blaming Toyota for alleging “lifetime fluid”. It’s a urban legend and not what the maintenance schedule says. Recommendation is the same as for any other Toyota automatic transmission: fluid change at 60K (severe service), or when required upon inspection (every 30K). Inspection is visual (for leaks) and data to check if the transmission overheated at some point, which is the first enemy CVT fluid. And CVT are very particular about fluid. It’s the key to longevity and sometimes the “unknown” factor when buying used.

Some models may also have a recall to replace a faulty airbag wire harness from supplier ZF (many manufacturers affected). If you know the VIN of the unit you want to buy, you can check pending recalls/campaigns here https://www.toyota.com/recall . Some “S” with navigation integrated to the radio head unit also suffer from freezing units, with no particular extended warranty to cover it. All in all, I'm very satisfied with mine (LE Eco 2014). Good luck.

Yes I agree you have to read between the lines on all posts . I know Nissan had horrible issues with early Nissan Rogues and Altima's. Carcomplaints.com basically sums up tons of drivers that did have major issues with their cvt with low miles on them. And all had to pay out of pocket or get screwed on a trade in. I will probably go with the 2018 S. Its a real nice front end and will get one with low miles so I can make sure the cvt is maintained. Finding a manual is almost impossible to find. Thank You for responding to this post my friend. Its a fun car and good for commuting . I'm a 58 year old guy so just wanted to change from my very low clearance Hondas to something a bit higher off the ground.

Yes I agree you have to read between the lines on all posts . I know Nissan had horrible issues with early Nissan Rogues and Altima's. Carcomplaints.com basically sums up tons of drivers that did have major issues with their cvt with low miles on them. And all had to pay out of pocket or get screwed on a trade in. I will probably go with the 2018 S. Its a real nice front end and will get one with low miles so I can make sure the cvt is maintained. Finding a manual is almost impossible to find. Thank You for responding to this post my friend. Its a fun car and good for commuting . I'm a 58 year old guy so just wanted to change from my very low clearance Hondas to something a bit higher off the ground.
Don't ever buy a Nissan vehicle, period!

jolly

tons of drivers that did have major issues with their cvt with low miles on them. And all had to pay out of pocket
The problems with early Nissan-Jatco in NA was right in the more delicate spot for CVT: fluid temperature control. They did update the firmware but once a unit has operated for a certain period with ruined fluid, damage might affect longevity. So those are the ones going off at relatively low mileage right now, feeding the idea that all CVT are bad. In all fairness, Nissan did extend the warranty to 10Y/120K on those. But then they had problems with poor metal quality in some others…

2016 30K plus turned in, 2020 6K about straight to the Point Love it.
Yeah, I drove a 2020 Corolla on a 800 mile road trip. It's leaps and bounds better than my 2015. I was really impressed with the radar cruise control. First time experience with that. Finally a tighter feeling suspension. If I wasn't going to get a Camry as my next vehicle, I would consider getting the new Corolla.