Dash Cam Installed Finally!

Hi Guys,

So here is the update / how to install the dash cam in the 2014 Corolla.

I am using Blackvue DR550GW-2CH: this gives me coverage of front and rear.
Also, using PowerMagic Pro which allows me to hardwire camera into the car which is using constant 12V.

As you all know, Corolla's hazard switch fuse is beside the engine which is impossible to hardwire into. So, I had to find different fuse to tap into.

2014 Corolla has secondary fuse box beside the foot pedals. There is fuse called "Stop" which I found out that it will provide constant 12V power which I will need to run the camera.

So, took out the PowerMagic Pro and started the Installation and it will look like this.

After I installed the two wires: 12V wire (Yellow) and ACC wire (just ACC need for I don't know... Just told me to find some fuse where the power comes on when ignition starts) and installed the ground.

When you open the camera box they is a cigaret lighter port will need to inserted into the female part of cigaret jack from the PowerMagic Pro.

At this point, I have established the connection with the camera and started to put things together more nicely.

After all the cameras are installed, all I had to do was cable management which was not too bad. Just used some zip straps to tide the wires and placed in the empty compartment.

After all is done, then the installation was finished.

Hope this helps in your dash cam install

How does it save video? Is that what the Power Magic PRO is for? How is the video feed stored? via Solid-State or through SD card?

Looks neat, and given that SoCal has a rash of bad drivers, it may come in handy.

Also, call your insurance company ... they may give you a discount having that installed. Doesn't hurt to ask right?

How does it save video? Is that what the Power Magic PRO is for? How is the video feed stored? via Solid-State or through SD card?

Looks neat, and given that SoCal has a rash of bad drivers, it may come in handy.

Also, call your insurance company ... they may give you a discount having that installed. Doesn't hurt to ask right?

PowerMagic Pro is essentially fail safe. It measures voltage and if it thinks the battery has low power/voltage, PowerMagic Pro will cut the power to the camera; leaving enough battery power to start the car. the videos will store into SD cards and it come in 16GB and 32GB. Mine is 32GB. Neat thing about this particular brand is they have an app that you can get at App store or Playstore and can view the live view of the camera. Also, can transfer the event videos to your phone without having to take out the SD card or connecting to the PC. They both work great.!

I wish we have that kind of system here. Here in BC, ICBC is too cheap for that. they don't even do anything except how they want it.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Congratulations on a very thorough and professional installation. :thumbup1:

I've thought of doing this very thing with my own car to protect me from abusive police officers.

What prompted you to install front and rear dash cams?

Congratulations on a very thorough and professional installation. :thumbup1:

I've thought of doing this very thing with my own car to protect me from abusive police officers.

What prompted you to install front and rear dash cams?

In Vancouver, there are a lot of people who dings other cars and not care about others. I have had so many dings and scratched on my previous cars that I had enough of. It really pisses me off when people ding other people's car and don't bother to leave the contact... Also, I had really bad insurance scam from the lady when I got into accident couple years back and ended up my insurance automatic going up because of that. The camera is to protect myself and the other people out on the road.

Ok, I have got to have one. Where can I find one? What should I expect to pay?
My camera is expensive camera. I paid about $380:thumbdown: for both items and that was with the deal I got. Normally will cost over $400 for both. It all depends what you are looking for and what you want your camera to do.

I wanted the full HD front and back with best quality out in the market so I spent lots of money in it. I don't know your budget but the good camera will expect to run between $150~$400.

It really depends on what you want for your car.

I actually have the exact same camera, but only the front version.

How did you manage to pull off the side panel to access the fuse box? Is it simply just clips? I've tried yanking at it, and it's in there pretty good. Worried about breaking something.

It is tricky to open ... I yanked it off the wrong way on accident because I didn't see the open tab, but there is a tab there that you push in and it pops off that way. It's a pain though.

I didn't want to use any flat head drivers because I didn't want to damage any of the panels or make some markings. lol I am OCD that way. I just used my fingers to open it and it was painful but worth it. It is managable. It's just held with the white plastic clips and just pops open.

Easy to use camera

I've been using this for years in one form or another, it's simple, easy to use, and cheap. It's a samsung F90-BN with a 32 g sd card it will run for an hour and a half, but I added a long life battery and I get 5 hours run time. The mount comes from a place called FILM TOOLS, Total cost- Under $250. I got the camera and the card on black friday sale.

Attachments

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBAP2t2ZPSE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBAP2t2ZPSE[/ame]

If some guy did this to my car, I'd be hard-pressed not to put him in the hospital for it.

Doesn't Canada imprison people that get caught doing this?

In America, any scam over $1,000 is an automatic felony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBAP2t2ZPSE

If some guy did this to my car, I'd be hard-pressed not to put him in the hospital for it.

Doesn't Canada imprison people that get caught doing this?

In America, any scam over $1,000 is an automatic felony.

A guy in a truck tried that to me 2 times in a row...long story short...he ended up with a busted taillight, broken side mirror, and slashed tires...

fishycomics

Super Moderator
these scams have been going on for so long, it is nothing new over here. the worst part is.

MIND YOUR BUSINESS

do not look for trouble. People think and they can do whatever they please. I feel like keeping my camera on 24/7. But I have to edit some of my driving habits lol

To comment on the video., I am best to say, thank you for showing it.

FISH

fishycomics

Super Moderator
Please keep this in mind no matter where you drive, never ever stop and leave no room in front of you. Always leave 3 fee plus, always have your doors locked, and always look around at all times.

To be scammed, may be better than Road rage, think about that one.:thumbsup:

Good advice fishy. That's exactly what I do. At a stop light, I keep at least a car length distance in front of me so if someone on a cell phone pulls up behind me and isn't paying attention, I have some room to move forward so they don't rear end me. Otherwise you're a sitting duck just waiting for the sound of bending metal and breaking glass when you're hit.

Last edited:
I'd just tell the cop that he ran into my fist in the same manner that I ran into his car.

Seriously though, I'm not sure what the law is in Canada, but if someone rams your car like that and comes at you aggressively, and you have a CCW, you are justified in shooting them ... probably why it isn't so prevailent here.

Especially with how aggressively the guy, in the video I posted, rammed that car.

Also, at a stop light, leave enough room between yourself and the car in front of you, so that if you have to turn out of your lane to avoid being rear-ended, you can do so.

When I worked as a courier, I learned to spot these idiots a mile away, they even tried those tricks on me and I could see em coming, one car would pull in front of me and the other would get and stay beside me and try to make me hit the car in front. I busted them every time.

Kev250R

This is my other car
This thread reminds me that I have a dash cam sitting in the box ready to put into my work truck. May need to move doing that farther up the 'to do' list.

I'm teaching a friends teenage daughter to drive and am trying to get her used to looking in her rear view whenever she steps on the brakes. That seems to be going better than teaching her to drive a stick did :icon_rolleyes:

Kevin

When I worked as a courier, I learned to spot these idiots a mile away, they even tried those tricks on me and I could see em coming, one car would pull in front of me and the other would get and stay beside me and try to make me hit the car in front. I busted them every time.
Yup. If I see someone on their cellphone, or I can tell they are distracted or in a rush, I give them space and keep them far ahead of me. After a while, you know what signs an idiot driver (or in your case, a scammer) does.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
the room left, must be enough to escape any situation that comes about?

time to set my dashcam up, but you won't see much at night, just a lot of people cutting you off, racing to work, because they all left late, LEAVE early, take your time, you will get there. They ride bumper cars. one pedal speed, push SPEED! off stop

Hi MrKiem,
Just wondering how you managed to pull that secondary fuse box out beside the foot pedals?

I tried but it is hard and i didn't want to break any clips or other stuff.

Thanks ahead

Cheers
Kevin

Hi MrKiem,
Just wondering how you managed to pull that secondary fuse box out beside the foot pedals?

I tried but it is hard and i didn't want to break any clips or other stuff.

Thanks ahead

Cheers
Kevin
It will come off from the side when you yank the cover. It is very easy to remove. Its like removing the clip.

Man I'd love to pick me one of those, but haven't heard any reviews on the dashcam forums yet and its pricey but would be a great investment in general. Also is it WiFi compatible?

Out of curiosity, what other dashcams have others tried? I am looking into a dashcam setup for my car due to the exponential increase in reckless driving that I see lately, but I am trying to go for a solution that is as discrete as possible. I also want one that will minimize the windscreen real estate that it will take up in my field of vision.

Thomas

Try dashcamtalk (website). They're probably the best resource to go to when looking at dash cams; tons of reviews, tips, etc.

Thanks! I have decided to have a local police vehicle outfitter do it after reading some stuff. I have seen an amazing spike in reckless driving in the last few years which is why I believe now is the time to protect yourself. I will schedule the job probably in a month as local LE contracts have them backed up right now.

Corolla Cop

2014 Corolla S Plus
I also have a G!W-C I bought for my truck. It works great also. It is about 60 dollars. I bought it from Gearbest.com to make sure I didn't get a fake.

The first Blackvue 650 I got had a defective rear camera. I just got the replacement, and it works. The only problem is, when it's powered on, the rear camera and/or coaxial cable going to the rear camera causes interference with the radio antenna in the rear glass on a low-spectrum AM station. I can listen to that station on iHeartRadio, so no big deal. I might try wrapping the cable with aluminum foil to see if that makes a difference.

I just finished concealing the wiring. I removed the trim on the left side of the driver's foot well to hide the excess wires (coiled up and zip-tied in place) and the Power Magic Pro. I mounted the Power Magic Pro to the car frame with double-sided tape and have wires going into the fuse box for now. Later I will splice it into the appropriate wires so the fuse box looks normal and I can put the lid back on it. I just want to make sure it doesn't crap out on be before I do something irreversible. I'm pretty happy right now. Still have to try the aluminum foil though...