Dipstick Reads Wrong?

Well I need some help here. I have never had this problem before! I just change the oil on my daughters 2005 corolla, 1.8 engine. I put in 3.9 quarts and a new filter as per the manual. The dip stick reads way over full, when cold, hot, on level ground and setting over night. Even as I was putting oil in the stick was reading way over full, 2 to 3 inches over. I measured the amount of oil I took out and the amount I put in is approx the same. The last time it was changed it was done by a oil change station... I change all my cars and have never seen this before. I have changed the oil in this car before and never had this problem....
Help please!!!!

Ok, I checked and recheck after the change, it says 3.9qt with filter change, I just pulled this off the internet "
"To begin you'll need 4 quarts of 5W-30 engine oil which is the preferred lubrication for the 1ZZ-FE 1.8L I4 motor according to the owner's manual. The engine has a 3.7 quart (3.5L) oil capacity."
Engine Oil Capacity for 2005 Toyota Corolla S
Conventional Oil: 3.9 Quarts
So which is right ......
Even if I put to little in it reads way over full...
Thanks for any ideas

fishycomics

Super Moderator
4 quarts of oil and 1/4 a quart. some cars now will take less. and that is stated in your owner's manual. And that be a 2.4L engine

drain your oil, and allow it to sit for awhile.

What would it read if sludge is all built up?