DIY Video: How to Replace Front Struts or Strut Mounts with Spring Compressors

Here's how to replace the strut or strut mount using spring compressors on a Toyota or Lexus with MacPherson strut front suspension. I made a short DIY video on the process:

While quick-struts are available for these cars, not all of them are made to the same quality and specifications as the OE spring or strut mount. Depending on which component you want to replace, using spring compressors to take apart the strut is an effective way to save some money and maintain the spring/strut/mount combo you want.

In my case, the struts were already replaced at some point, but the bearing in the strut was binding, so I opted to replace just the strut mount.

I diagnosed the bearing was bad by turning the wheel, and noticed the spring was sticking and clunking. I also had an alignment issue with the vehicle pulling to the left and having memory steer:

Here are some of the bolts you need to loosen up, sway bar link nut, two knuckle to strut bolts, and the ABS/brake line bolt.

Also helps to remove the ABS sensor out of the way so it doesn't get damaged, if yours isn't rusty:

Next, reach under the hood and unbolt the three top strut mount bolts and remove the strut:

Next up, you'll need spring compressors. Make sure you get the ones with the locking pins and not some cheap ones that will slip.

Install the spring compressors at 180 degrees apart. Compress each one a little at a time so the spring compresses evenly. If it does start to slip, back it off and try again. Keep the strut pointed sideways away from your body in case the pretension in the spring suddenly releases.

Remove the strut and bellow from the assembly. Check that the strut rebounds when compressed. If its very slow, it needs to be replaced:

My strut mount bearing was mangled, there was no grease, and the bearing plate had a hole in it:

I installed a new Mevotech strut mount:

When assembling the mount, ensure the spring seats properly in the bottom and top seats when releasing spring tension. Tighten the strut mount center bolt (loosely, not crazy tight). Final torque once installed on the vehicle:

I hope this helps someone, enjoy!

I love it when you guys show me a trick or two. I always took mine to a shop. Next time I'll do it myself. The last time I really worked on a suspension the car had leaf springs in the back