DLR Relay or Alternator Problem?

I have a 03 Corolla LE with around 180,000 miles. About a month ago I the battery light come on. I bought it to my mechanic the same day, to look at it and it was fine. Right after I left the light came back on, he told me to put a meter on it. I ran it for about a week with the voltmeter on it and most of the time the battery light was on but my running voltage was between 14 and 14.5 volts. Every once in a while the light would go off or blink and the voltage would go nuts, up to 16 - 17 volts. The other thing I noticed was that the daytime running lights weren't coming on all the time. We decided that the voltage regulator in the alternator was bad, and I got a new alternator and installed it. I thought we fixed the problem, when everything was fine for three days. Then the light came back on, I put the meter back on and we got the same problems again. The one thing I noticed was that the DRL were off when the battery light was on but the voltage was in range. I had times when I started the car and the battery light was off and the DRL lights would click on, then the voltage would starrt to go high again. Now a few day ago I noticed my high beams don't work any more, my DRL haven't come on in a while, the battery light is on but the voltage hasn't spiked in a while. I know the relay must be shot but I dont what to replace it if there is something else that is causing the problem. I did have the autoparts store that I got the alternator from run a test and they said the battery and alt. were fine but there was a slight voltage leak when the car was off and the amp draw on the alt. was high when there was low draw. thanks for any ideas you could give me.