engine air filter and cabin air filter lifespan?

I have a 2012 Corolla CE with manual transmission. I have 82,500 kilometers on the car,
which I bought new. So far it runs perfect except the red air bag comes on sometimes.
I haven't replaced the engine air filter or cabin air filter because where I live is hardly
any industry; the air is pretty clean. I haven't replaced the mentioned filters because
when I inspected the air filter in my other car before ( a Civic) at a 50,000 kilometer
interval there was hardly any dirt on it. Is it time to replace mine anyway as well
as the cabin air filter? Can you save the Corolla air filter by washing it and putting it back in?

Thank you for your comments and answers.

The stock air filter is not meant to be reused. They're very cheap and you can buy a new one for it. Aftermarket filters that are oiled or designated as "reusable" like K&N filters you can keep. Some of them are oiled and require to be washed then re-oiled.

The cabin filter you should probably replace as it's not expensive either. Think of it like an air filter in a home or apartment. Once it starts getting clogged up, you should replace it. It's hard to know when it needs replacing without looking at it because your nose eventually adjusts to the smell coming through the vents whether its dirty or not.

Hope this helps.

It is possible to argue numbers all day long on air filters, but think of it this way. if your car ever has a film of dust on the paint, your engine tried to eat several thousnd times that amount in the last hour it was operating. The filter is what saves your engine from damage from the more abrasive of those particles. Most of those are kicked up by other cars, and by the wind.

Replace both asap. I'm not into gaining an extra horse power or anything so a regular air filter will do. The one I buy recommends to replace engine filter every 20000kms. In dustier or dirtier places then more often is recommended. The cabin air filter I replace, as per manual, I think that is every two or three oil changes. Save yourself some money and replace them yourself, they are very easy to do.

fishycomics

Super Moderator
two filters here: eventually Mold grows, and your health goes, your choice, can not afford the filter go to a Hardware store cut your own out, no one says it has to be toyota

1 Cabin filter

even though its a Honda you get the idea.

2air filter

ToyBoy

Got my filters on Ebay both cabin and air filter I believe both for $10.99 . I changed the at 20k miles and the air filter was still quite clean while the cabin filter was getting kind of gunky .

fishycomics

Super Moderator
I find it best to change not by the mileage but by the season you can be driving in a construction zone to trees pollinating and spring and fall are the best times to swap out

THATS TRUE WILLIAM! dont cheap out, get the original filters, Jersey Joe is correct, it depends where do you drive your Corolla, and park it. are there so much animals in your area/garage/outside parking? especially rats/mice, oh yeah, they love this filter boxes to be their nest, eat and pee in there.
make it a habit to check it every 8K or 10K. if you pull out the filters and raise it in front of the light, and you dont see the light anymore or so grayish, even you vacuum it. replace it. cabin filter is inside the car , where you breath the air , it filters it, when running (circulating or fresh air). engine air filter is for your engine (performance, gas mileage, etc that you can think of), same thing, check it as how you inspect the cabin filter.

My suggestion is to peruse the WIX site. And use quality filters on these cars for longevity, even if they cost a tad more. My personal preference is WIX or NAPA GOLD (made by WIX).

I just installed a K&N panel filter. I have been a supporter/user since the mid 90s, and although anecdotal, never once suffered a single issue. I know they do not filter as well as paper, but nor do they filter as poorly as the internet-hawks claim. My reason has nothing to do with power, throttle response or mpgs... it's about being reusable and a little less landfill debris. The cabin air filter gets a yearly change.