Engine overheating and transmission issues

I bought a fairly used 2011 Toyota corolla (as is) about 3 weeks ago. I made all the changes I could identify after purchase. But there is still 2 pertinent issues.

Summary;
1.) I have an issue with my engine overheating. This only happen when I use the AC on a hot day. The radiator fan is working fine.

2.) My transmission stick does not lock the gears properly when I initially put it either on the D, N or R positions unless I shift the stick out of those positions slightly, then return it. Then it locks into the appropriate gear.
3.) Sometimes when the stick is on the Park (P) position, the car will not start until I shake the stick side to side. Then the car will start.

Details
1.) I live in Nigeria-(West Africa) The weather here is very very hot everyday. Does the outside hot air temperature also affects the coolant temperature in the car?

The coolant temp reading starts rising and approaches the "H" level on a hot day when I am using the A/C. It rises faster when I am in a traffic jam or slow moving tracfic on a hot day.
To get the reading down on a hot day, I have to swicth off the A/C and the level gradually goes down to "slightly above" the middle mark and it stays there.

Also, when the A/C is ON and my car is idle (not moving) and my transmission stick is on D position (my feet is on the brake because I am in a traffic jam) my engine vibrates/shakes and the Tachometer needle begins to fluctuate between 0 and 1 intermittently.
It gets worse as the coolant temperature increases to the "H" level. Then suddenly the Tachometer needle goes down to the 0 position and my car just switches off right on the road. I have to put the gear stick on Park position, turn off the A/C and restart the car again to move. Because I am in a traffic jam or slow moving traffic this happens intermittently. I have to restart my car several times on the road because of this. It does not happen when my car is moving freely or when the A/C is off. Also, the shaking and the Tachometer fluctuations does not occur when my gear stick is either on the N Position or R position

So this issue only occurs in slow moving traffic, when my car is idle, when the A/C is on and when the gear stick is on the drive position "D"

Then I begin to perceive a burning rubber smell right inside my car

I want to point out that the muffler was removed before I bought the car. I plan to replace it soon. If the absent muffler is part of the reason why my engine is acting this way please let me know.

Can some one please help me out here. I just don't know what the mechanics have done about this but the situation is not resolved and I am sure they don't really know where the fault is. If I could know then I would simply direct them on what to exactly fix in my car instead of them doing trial and error.

Is my radiator and transmission bad?

Apart from this when I am driving in the evening with my windows down and when there is no Sun at all and I am not using the A/C, the car runs great and the engines responds very well. in fact its the only time period in any day that I actually enjoy driving this car. I just want the same experience for day time/hot day driving.

Your feed back is highly appreciated

Wait till your engine is cool and check that the coolant in your radiator is filled to the top below the cap. When it gets hot here in California my radiator fan works harder to keep the engine cool. Temperature does affect the car. I don't know what's up with the a/c my guess is that the car is working harder to power the a/c and keep the engine cool in such a hot environment, check your tranny fluid while car is running, pull dipstick out wipe it clean insert it back in and pull it out again and hold it level it should be between the two notches that say "hot". Besides fluid I don't know what could be wrong with your transmission. but 110 plus degree weather does affect your car especially if it's a four cylinder, bigger engines don't have to work as hard. I don't know about the muffler, but I do know when you remove the catalytic converter in newer cars it messes with the oxygen sensors relationship with the computer and causes it to dump to much fuel into the cylinders, so the muffler being removed could mess with it