Feeling Used?

Over and over again I have noticed people coming to this forum to sign up, ask just one question regarding a problem they are having with their car and then, "poof", they are gone never to be heard from again, usually without so much as a thank you for the information/advice. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I am becoming very reluctant to respond to people like this. It does make one feel very used. Further, this does nothing to help this forum.

I'm tired of this behavior and it seems very, very selfish, like the forum members here are just to be used for repair advice like a cheap whore. Then it's, "Adios!". How does everyone else feel about this?

Jon

Administrator
Scott...I think it's unfortunate, but it is part of the obstacles that we have as we try to grow the site. I'm hopeful that as we grow it will become more of a community, rather than just a place to get information regarding a problem.

I think it only takes a few members to stick around and begin to get engaged on the site before you begin to see more of a community.

I hear ya, Scott. Whether people believe it or not, their responses mean a great deal to others who may have similar issues, and wish to know what to do about them.

When I try to help people with solid advice based on almost 30 years of experience in the automotive repair/maintenance and synthetic oil industry and I take my time to type up a response that will help them, then they don't even respond letting you know your suggestion(s) worked or helped, you don't even know if they read it, it starts to feel like what's the point? I think it's very selfish and cheap for some people to come here, get help with their vehicles issues, then don't even have the courtesy of responding or saying thank you and then, "poof", vanish from the forum entirely after having made exactly one post. No, I think I'm done with that routine. I enjoy helping people, but I don't enjoy being used.

I even had someone message me asking for automotive advice and I spent a good 15 minutes typing them up a response that would help them. That was two weeks ago and they haven't even read my response. That's just downright rude.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that you feel used. I appreciate this board, and all the advice that you have given. I went through a bunch of threads when I first joined, and saw that you gave out some good advice. Your right, It IS rude that people can't say thanks.

I am new to this forum and have greatly appreciated everyone's input & feedback. Keep on keeping on. I work in customer support and know the feeling. Keep up the great work. I learn something new every day on this site.

natecade1

Maintainer of Wife's Cor
Scott, I just signed up a few minutes ago and probably will not post here much.

I am trying to use you? as a resource when I need it, yes. But I don't think I'll ever be ungrateful.

Honestly I'm a car guy and have thousands of posts on other forums. I am fairly mechanically knowledgable and have done all the maintenance on my wife-to-be's (June 1st) since she got it new.

So, far in my minutes of experience on this site I have attempted to answer questions rather than ask them. However, I am sure that as her car gets older I will have questions in the future. So when that time comes, please do not hesitate to answer because of my small post count.

Forum communities like this are great things to have, and if it was my Corolla I'd probably be modding it and therefore breaking it and working on it a lot more, I'd be showing up to meets (if they exists for Corollas?) and contributing much more. However, it is not, and Emily, does not really want me modding her car too much. lol