For the Daughter

I am new to this forum. I personally own a 2008 Scion Xb. But my daughter bought a 2013 Corolla last December. She had a 2000 and ran the wheels off of it.
Anyway, she was sent to Afghanistan in April and had already had the 5K service at the dealership. The wife and I took it to the dealership today per the daughters request to get it serviced and the oil changed. It only had 12.4K mi. on the clock, so they did all the service except the oil change.

When the daughter bought the car she was told at the dealership that ALL the oil changes and service on the 2013 corolla had to be done at the dealership, or it would void her warranty. I believe that is against the law. And I have always done my own service and hers also. I always use mobil 1 oil and changed the oil every 5K miles. Is there something I should know about concerning 2013 Corolla. I keep all my receipts with dates and mileage. I am thinking it was just that specific dealer trying to take advantage of a young lady. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

The "factory" service is performed by Toyota for the first 2 years or 25,000 miles whichever comes first @ no cost to the consumer. I have a lifetime warranty to which the only stipulation is that I follow the factory service guidelines and that it is performed by an ASE certified mechanic. You are correct about the warranty void. In the US there is a thing called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that basically states what was told to your daughter is illegal. My personal take on the situation is that if the manufacturer is going to pay to have your car serviced for 2 years @ no cost to you, why would you pay to do it yourself? I would NOT take it back to the same dealer that is lying to you.

here in Canada as far as I know you can take a new veh in for oil change to any "warranty approved" facility and as long as everything is recorded it is ok. I love to do it myself but I don't want to void warranty so I will have to have it done for me

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
It's your car and you can do what you want with it. You can change the oil yourself, or perform any other maintenance and repairs, without fear of voiding any warranty. This is the law. Google -> Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

Last edited: