For those With a 6MT

The transmission is beautiful, and the clutch requires minimal effort.

However, when I shift from around 5,000 - 6,000 RPM, going from 1st to 2nd, I get a thumping noise, like the throw-out bearing is fighting the inertia of the clutch at that speed before disengaging. The weird part is ... it doesn't do it at that RPM going into any other gear.

Anyone else with the six-speed manual getting this?

I figured it out. When I powershift I go to neutral before the clutch is fully disengaged. That is causing the thump, but as the brass wears in it seems to be fading away.

VTAK8k

2014 S Plus
Glad you figured it out. I wish ours was the manual, but my wife prefers automatics. 6 gears are fun though, enjoy yours.

One of the incentives for the manual was so that I wouldn't wake up to find my 2014 S gone and my girlfriend's 2010 LE in its place, LOL!

Taught her to drive a stick when she was first learning but it was a lot to take in for her. Now that she has been driving for a while, probably get some time in during the summer to let her get the hang of it.

My sister hated stickshifts, got pissed at my Dad when he bought her a stickshift Samurai.

Ever since she's had that Samurai, every car she has owned since is a stickshift. Realized how fun it is.

I got my wife the base model just so she could have her stick shift... It was either base model or top-end model. The $15k price of the base was hard to resist.

I agree, it is buttery smooth and the clutch is effortless. A lot nicer to drive than her old 2005 Corolla S with 5-speed. We are so plased with this Corolla and tranny!

Rmpl

Yeah, best shifting transmission I've ever seen, and the gating is perfect.

My sister has a six-speed Fusion, really easy to go from 6th to 2nd on accident (luckily I have quick enough reflexes to put the clutch back in), and going from 3rd to 2nd is irritating because the shifter gets snagged by the slight exposure of the reverse gate.

And having that 6th gear on the freeway is beautiful. My only complaint is that 5th should have been a little bit more shallow and 6th a little bit taller.

I also have the 6spd. I find that "rev hang" is causing the thump or mismatch between the engine and transmission. I had a 2006 corolla 5spd that didn't do this and I could run through the gears as fast as I wanted. I've had to slow down my shifting especially between 1st and 2nd to adjust for this. I've since read that other MT cars have the same problem, especially certain Hondas. Honda did put out a sevice bulletin and fix to the computer for this. I've written Toyota but was told there is nothing being done for this. a friend of mine said just shift normal and ignore it, it won't hurt the clutch but it just doesn't feel right. I hope somebody comes out with an update for the CPU, it really makes driving the car boring and annoying

Good luck
Shawn

I also have the 6spd. I find that "rev hang" is causing the thump or mismatch between the engine and transmission. I had a 2006 corolla 5spd that didn't do this and I could run through the gears as fast as I wanted. I've had to slow down my shifting especially between 1st and 2nd to adjust for this. I've since read that other MT cars have the same problem, especially certain Hondas. Honda did put out a sevice bulletin and fix to the computer for this. I've written Toyota but was told there is nothing being done for this. a friend of mine said just shift normal and ignore it, it won't hurt the clutch but it just doesn't feel right. I hope somebody comes out with an update for the CPU, it really makes driving the car boring and annoying

Good luck
Shawn

I drive a 2008 Civic Si sedan. It has a 6sp manual that I love. It does have a bit of rev hang that is annoying, but nothing described by the OP.

I tell my wife once in a while we should have gotten her the manual in the Corolla.

Shawn, it improves as the transmission brass wears in.

As far as rev-hang goes, think it depends. 5.0 owners are having this problem as well. My '96 Mustang and my '08 Matrix never did this.

I suspect that the clutch slave cylinder is integrated with the throw-out bearing in the six-speed, where the 5-speed had the clutch slave cylinder actuate the clutch fork. I just hope that Toyota did a better job of designing it than Ford, because the clutch slave-cylinder/throw-out bearing in the MTX-75 transmissions sucked. At 89,000 miles on my Focus the second one was getting ready to explode (they did just that and took the entire clutch assembly down with them).