Hard Upshift Into Overdrive

Hi
On my 2009 Corolla LE, when I step on it to pass and it downshifts, I frequently get a hard upshift back into overdrive. Bought new, it now has 71,000 miles. No transmission service (fluid change, etc) so far. This just started in the last 5,000 miles. I can bring it to the dealer for service but wanted to ask around to see if anyone has had this problem before.

Unless it were a top shelf synthetic transmission fluid, 71,000 is a bit far without changing it, in my opinion.
Pull the transmission dipstick and with a clean white paper towel, wipe off the fluid that is on the dipstick onto that paper towel. If the fluid looks darker in color, (as opposed to a reddish/pink color), this can be an indication that the fluid needs changing. Smell the fluid too to see if it smells burnt, which is another indication it might be time to change it.
Automatic transmission fluid changes cost about $125-$150 at a typical auto center vs a transmission rebuild hovers around $2,000. Take your pick.

Unless it were a top shelf synthetic transmission fluid, 71,000 is a bit far without changing it, in my opinion.
Pull the transmission dipstick and with a clean white paper towel, wipe off the fluid that is on the dipstick onto that paper towel. If the fluid looks darker in color, (as opposed to a reddish/pink color), this can be an indication that the fluid needs changing. Smell the fluid too to see if it smells burnt, which is another indication it might be time to change it.
Automatic transmission fluid changes cost about $125-$150 at a typical auto center vs a transmission rebuild hovers around $2,000. Take your pick.
Hi Scott - thanks for your comments.

Scott - by the way, I will do what you suggested this weekend - thanks

I hope the transmission can wait that long. The problem could even be low transmission fluid. If at all possible, check this as soon as you can.

Good luck with it.

Had similar issues with my '09. You are correct in assuming your throttle position has something to do with the hard upshifts. The 10th-gen models have "adaptive" automatics, meaning that they "learn" how we drive. I personally believe they get confused, causing the hard shifts. A 15-year trans tech told me trans parts are nearly bullet-proof, and that the majority of the problems he has seen were due to electronic malfunctions of some kind, be they hardware or software. He also confided in me that Japanese electronics are primitive when compared to those in today's Chryslers!

You may want to go ahead and take it in for a look-see. Call ahead and find out how much it will cost before you go. That way, your concerns will be documented.

Had similar issues with my '09. You are correct in assuming your throttle position has something to do with the hard upshifts. The 10th-gen models have "adaptive" automatics, meaning that they "learn" how we drive. I personally believe they get confused, causing the hard shifts. A 15-year trans tech told me trans parts are nearly bullet-proof, and that the majority of the problems he has seen were due to electronic malfunctions of some kind, be they hardware or software. He also confided in me that Japanese electronics are primitive when compared to those in today's Chryslers!

You may want to go ahead and take it in for a look-see. Call ahead and find out how much it will cost before you go. That way, your concerns will be documented.
Thanks Mike. Very good information on the electronics. This didn't start happening until I changed my commuter route. The new route took me over a higher elevation over the Blue Ridge and coming down the other side was when I noticed this happening. I have checked fluid level and color. The level was fine and the color was definitely off-red and did not smell burnt at all. I have called my local Toyota dealer in Leesburg and made an appointment. They do have a basic service charge but then take it off if you have service done.