Harsh Acceleration

I bought a used 2012 Corolla LE. Every now and then, it accelerates rather harshly - no other good way to describe it. Sometimes, at freeway speeds, the engine does not feel smooth even at steady speeds. I discovered that the car had had a fender-bender, which damaged the black plastic 'grill'-like part attached behind the bottom of the front bumper. Could this have caused any damage that makes the engine accelerate/run harshly?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
Anything is possible and assuming the car doesn't have much accumulated mileage on it, what you mentioned may very likely be the most probable cause.

A 2012 vehicle will still be covered under warranty, especially wherever you bought it from, (assuming it was a car dealer). Take it back and have them diagnose what is wrong with the car they sold you. There should be no charge for this.

Thanks for your response.
I meant to say 2010 Corolla, not 2012. It does have 57,000 miles. It still has the 60,000 mile warranty. I have an appointment on Saturday at the dealer.

Relies on the health of the your car's engine.
Traffic styles.
How you drive your car etc...
I think if you try to control on these things then you can solve your problem.

Corolla acceleration problem discussion........

Hi please reply if you have similar issues have a 2011 corolla with 1.8 doch 16valve 4cyl dual vvti engine,4 speed automatic. it is very slow at decelerating after taking foot off accelerate. more evident from 60 to 40.on level road it takes .9 to 1.1 mile to slow from 60 to 40 mph. jerks on down grade with cruise control on rpm go up 300 to 400 then down 200 below original reading and back up to original rpm. couple occasions so far with cruise off when accelerator was released it stayed at same speed and rpm until the car hit a bump in road taken to dealer 2 times same answer car is normal . i drove a scion loaner car with same engine and transmission difference like night and day this car shifted and decelerated like it should. does any body else have this problem...... if someone could suggest me solution regarding this..................

corolla

Last edited: