Hello

Hello Folks,

Last year I picked up a 2001 Corolla LE for $300 bucks. I was told by the company that owned this car, that the car just stopped. They don't know why, but it just stopped operating one day.

Needless to say, I should have asked more questions, turns out there was more they were not telling me, because I didn't ask the questions......but I figured even at $300 and a rebuild, I was still ahead. Apparently they did have a mechanic look at the engine (parts were missing, so I know some careless mechanic was in there), and told them, it was a lost cause. Here is a picture I took of the oil-pan innards, showing what was left of the Crank Bearings, as the engine chewed 'em up and dropped them into the oil sump. :eek:

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I've been told that I have more tools than most mechanics. I like to fix my own machines, just so I know how to do it, and I feel better knowing that the job will be done right....as long as my dyslexia doesn't interfere (more on that disaster later).

At any rate, I'll start up a thread later on showing the details of what I did to tear down this little engine, have it bored out, and the rebuild process I went through.

Since I commute nearly 90 miles a day, I've become somewhat addicted to having "hands free" phone communication. I've upgraded my Saturn with a Blue-Tooth Head Unit, and this car is no different. I've already upgraded the Head Unit, and the front door speakers. More to come....

What caused this issue was a lack of oil. Apparently whoever was supposed to get the oil changed for their fleet didn't do their job. So, they ran the car dry of oil, and it "just stopped"..... no surprise.

You'd think they would take a look at the temp gauge once in a while while driving it. The rods were so hot they were bent..... nasty mess.