Help! 94 Corolla DX Brake Line Issues

Good day all.

I just lost my brakes on my 94 Corolla DX. I replaced the front rotors and the pads because they needed it but the brake light was on and the master was half full. I found the hard brake lines under driver side rear seat completely rotted out and leaking brake fluid. They don't like like they are easily replaced. They look like a mixture of rubber and steel. The are rotted right at the bend at the back where the plastic piece covers it.

What is the best way to replace this? I have replaced brake lines on an old chevy but they were all steel and pre bent.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Russell
www.faster340.com

Yeah, definitly not a DIY fix... In a pinch, you can use a brass compression fitting, but it is NOT a good idea. (though it will get you home if stranded).

You should probably replace the whole line, because if it rotted through in that one spot, there are probably other problem areas as well.

I just recently replaced these on my '94. I needed to raise the entire car off the ground and I replaced them from front to back. If you have experience with brake work you will find it's not that difficult.

Just replace all the steel lines

The day before starting the repair spray all the connections with PB Blaster or other good penetrating oil a few times and let it soak in overnight. Auto parts stores have pre-flared brake lines in various lengths so measure the lengths you need and buy the closest size longer which will do the job.

Often you can loop a too-long line or put a four-bend offset in it - like a 'bulge' out to one side of the run-length. A right-bend, then two left-bends, and finally another right-bend to bring the line back on track again.

Are you near the sea or do they salt the roads in winter? Usually a leaking brake line has corroded through.

Brake lines are hydraulic. If it is just a small area which is bad, or if budget or time limitations must be considered - use two hydraulic compression couplings to replace only the leaking section. These must only be installed on 'good' areas - where there is no pitting or corrosion present - so they are able to seal well. Although a brass compression coupling will often work - they are not really intended for hydraulic work. Genuine hydraulic fittings will make for the best job in the end.

PHM
------

Good day all.

I just lost my brakes on my 94 Corolla DX. I replaced the front rotors and the pads because they needed it but the brake light was on and the master was half full. I found the hard brake lines under driver side rear seat completely rotted out and leaking brake fluid. They don't like like they are easily replaced. They look like a mixture of rubber and steel. The are rotted right at the bend at the back where the plastic piece covers it.

What is the best way to replace this? I have replaced brake lines on an old chevy but they were all steel and pre bent.

Please advise.

Thank you.
Russell
www.faster340.com