High Exhaust Noise/Muffler

Hi.

I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla LE.

Recently was on a trip and went through some rocky pavement (freaking construction and poorly maintained noise).

Had the music blasting and was at 70 MPH most of the time so didn't notice any unusual sound. When I got off the freeway, turned off the music I noticed elevated exhaust every time I stepped to give some gas. Initially I though **** I knicked a pipe or the muffler itself. Then as I moved along, started hearing something rattling, and I thought **** the muffler broke off and is dragging along the pavement.

When I stopped and got out I checked with a torch light under the car and didn't see any dislodged pieces and the muffler seemed intact.

What could be the issue? I'm scared the catalytic converter is busted, but how do I test this for myself?

Thanks so much!

This is a pure guess as I'm unable to physically diagnose the car of course, but it could be something as simple as an exhaust gasket at the juncture of two exhaust pipes. Just about any car exhaust shop will provide you a diagnosis and written estimate for free so just shop around to find out precisely what is wrong with the exhaust system.

I hope this has been of help.