High Pitched Squeal Help!

I have a 1990 Toyota Corolla SR5 with the 1.6 liter engine and I hear a very high pitched squeal sound coming from around the alternator when I first start the vehicle and the squeal can last from 10 seconds to 2 minutes. The squeal also happens sometimes when I turn or just drive straight. Could it be alternator or something else? Any help will be appreciated.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
This is the typical sound that a worn out alternator or serpentine belt makes. Spray water on it as the noise is occurring and if the noise stops, bingo.

So I did the water trick today and when I sprayed water on it it would stop for a couple seconds then come back. But as I sprayed more water the belt started slipping. Today it squealed but when I hit the gas pedal it would go away and stay away. What could it be?

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
The belt is not good/defective or the serpentine belt tensioner is old/worn out and not keeping the belt at proper tension, allowing it to slip and making squealing noises.

How old is this belt? Is it a low quality made in China or a quality Dayco or Gates belt?