High RPM’s while using Cruise Control

I have a 2017 Toyota corolla SE. Occasionally while using the Cruise control, the RPMs will certainly increase from about 1800 RPMs to 4200 RPM’s. The RPM’s will drop down again to below 2000 RPM’s if I tap the brake and disengage the Cruise control. This might occur 2-4 times while using Cruise control during a 2 hour trip.
Any thoughts

Yeah something with inclines, it never happened in Florida.. drove to Nebraska and south dakota/Minnesota.. but it happened there was super strange, so many inclines

Yeah something with inclines, it never happened in Florida.. drove to Nebraska and south dakota/Minnesota.. but it happened there was super strange, so many inclines
Thanks, I never even considered if there was an incline or not. Thanks for the input.
Very helpful

If you slide it in manual mode, it will stop this behavior. Actually, it you just touch the gas pedal lightly, it will stop. We have a fair amount of hills, and it is aggravating.

It is your engine gearing down while going down a incline. I have the same issue, and if you tap your + paddle on your steering wheel (SE models) it will shift back up. It doesn't have to be in the manual mode for you to use the paddles.

It is your engine gearing down while going down a incline. I have the same issue, and if you tap your + paddle on your steering wheel (SE models) it will shift back up. It doesn't have to be in the manual mode for you to use the paddles.
Thanks but what are the ‘paddles’

I think the high rev issue has something to do with the adaptive cruise control. You can try switching over to the standard cruise control mode by holding the cruise on/off button for about 5 seconds.

I think the high rev issue has something to do with the adaptive cruise control. You can try switching over to the standard cruise control mode by holding the cruise on/off button for about 5 seconds.

Thank you so much!! I have had this car for 2 years, and did not realize the "Adaptive" cruise control actually meant "Stupid" cruise control. I tried your advice and held the button for 5 seconds and then the icon for the cruise changed. It was a completely different car. It held its speed better on the hills, both up and down the hills. No more roaring engine. And, with the regular "adaptive" cruise on, it could gain up to 15 km/h going down hill, still with the engine screaming at 4500 rpm. Now the most it revved was about 3000 rpm, and it held the speed to within 4 km/h of the set speed. The non-adaptive cruise control is much more precise, and I think it would give much better fuel efficiency. (Oh, I tried this at night and there was no traffic to interfere with the test)

I hope Toyota have this issue figured out on the 2020 models, because I am picking one up tomorrow. I love my 2017, but it is underpowered, and the cruise was a pain. And, it defeats the purpose of having adaptive cruise control if you can't use it. So, big purchase tomorrow. :)