How often should I change my oil?

Hello All,

I have 2 8th gen corollas and one consumes oil at a rate of about 1 qt. per 500 miles. For a vehicle like that, do I need to make sure I get my oil changed right at 3,000 miles every time?

Will the sludge issue in the oil consuming corollas dirty up the oil filter significantly faster? Is it worth it to get oil changes at every 3K just to get a new oil filter?

Thanks,
=Matt=

Hi
You might want to have you're Rolla checked , a Qt of oil every 500 miles ?! its NO bueno ( good ), do you have an oil leak ? or are you burning oil ?
Now, you are adding oil every 500 miles, I would changed Oil filter every 5K miles @ least !
how many miles on the Rolla ?

3ddie @.

Yeah, it truly sounds like something is wrong is wrong and you better get that checked out. I have a 2012 Corolla and it uses Synthetic, 10,000 miles, not 500. Standard is about 5,000 miles, not 500, so definitely get it checked out.

Standard oil changed is 4,500 to 5,000 miles its a good call
Synthetic oil changed is 10,000 miles,
Now the is an Oil ( MOBIL ) they say, you only changed (( one's per year ))
Not sure on that my self,

Anyone out there, can you help on this, One's a year oil changed ?!

Thanks
3ddie @

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-annual-protection
Once a year or 20,000 miles, with a warranty. A quick glance at the reviews are mostly positive, with one respondent saying "this is nothing new, synthetic oil makers have claimed this since they started selling it". My guess is that the environment you drive in will inject particulates or moisture or other environment ingredients into any oil, thereby limiting the interval between changes. And the temperature range in the locale you drive in (freeze/thaw, humidity, heat) definitely has an effect on oil life. If you've driven a car in below zero temps, the oil becomes much less viscuous until it is warmed by the engine. The car sounds horrible at first but as it warms it gets back to normal operating routines. In very high heat (100+) the oil is quite slippery and the engine runs easy. Smoke from fires also gets into your engine with all the soot and ash, which decreases the filter's ability to work efficiently. If it were me using the 20K interval, about halfway to 20K i'd swap out the oil filter. Whaddya think?

The owner's manual for my 2015 calls for an oil change every 10,000 miles, so that's when I do it. I've been bringing the car to the dealership for all service since new and will continue to do it. As long as you don't let the dealership sell you on unnecessary services, the price isn't too bad.

Yeah, it truly sounds like something is wrong is wrong and you better get that checked out. I have a 2012 Corolla and it uses Synthetic, 10,000 miles, not 500. Standard is about 5,000 miles, not 500, so definitely get it checked out.
A plugged PCV valve could cause excessive oil to be burn't if your vehicle does not have a PCV valve there will be a vent for engine so it doesn't build up pressure in crankcase, which will force oil out anywhere it can.