I have a 1.8 liter 2011 corolla and have just over 100,000 miles on it. I've been using 0w-20 full synthetic oil but I feel like I need to switch to

I have a 1.8 liter 2011 corolla automatic and have just over 100,000 miles on it. I've been using 0w-20 full synthetic oil but I feel like I need to switch to a high mileage oil to protect seals as they get older and what not.....my question is what weight and brand do you all recommend? if it help any I'm in southern Cali and winters are mild but summers are hot. thanks

I used to have a new 2000 4cyl. Honda Accord EX sedan that that I kept for 15 years & 200,000 miles. Despite proper maintenance intervals, it started losing significant oil levels around 90-100K between oil changes, though nothing was leaking out on ground or anything. I started adding a bottle of 'Bar's Leaks Concentrated Rear Main Seal Repair' fluid at every oil change interval & never had the oil levels drop below full again between oil changes for the remaining 100K miles that I drove it.

ZeCorolla

I Love Corolla's!
The 1.8L engines in our Corolla's are very reliable and even at higher mileages, won't consume or burn any oil. My 2011 with 250,000kms (155,000 miles) does not consume or burn a single bit of oil and I still use Toyota 0W-20 synthetic oil.

Honda engines on the other hand are known to start consuming oil at higher mileages. It would be better to switch to a thicker/ high mileage oil for those cars.

Scott O'Kashan

Super Moderator
You wont need any such marketing gimmick oils.

Modern motor oils are already formulated to protect seals and gaskets.

What brand of oil are you currently using?

A couple years ago I asked Mobil about it . Here is their reply.

If you've been running Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy for a while with no issues, I really wouldn't bother changing to Mobil 1 High Mileage at this point. I've had a number of people report odometer readings in excess of 300,000 miles who are not using a high mileage formula. I think about the only case where I would recommend switching to the Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-20 would be if, somewhere down the line, you begin to develop a leak at a seal or gasket. Our High Mileage formulas contain a seal conditioner that can help you with a leaking seal, until you have the chance to address the leak with a permanent fix.