Idle Hunting/Surging/Fluctuations

Idle Hunting/Surging/Fluctuations after IACV cleaning attempt

This is a 2002 Toyota Corolla S with 186,000 miles.

I should I spent a lot more time Googling different threads and videos (for precautions) before I started it, but this is where I am at now (I watched just one YouTube video).

Also, I am admitting that I made a lot of mistakes, especially about choosing TODAY to do this project. I was in the middle (and not a participant) of some wacky neighborhood violence and drama. And all I wanted was to be left alone to get my car fixed up (Read #10). I may have forgotten something important.

So I started the car this morning, after reinstalling the cleaned components that I removed yesterday afternoon. Which is Throttle-Body and Idle Air Control Valve.

The results were alarming. It first started idling on it’s own at 2,000 RPM, and then it revved up to 4,500 RPM for a brief second before slowly dropping down to 1,500 and then constantly fluctuating between 1,500 to 3,500 as the car got closer to warming up. The OBDII Diagnostics report a P0300 Random Misfire code and the engine is running extremely lean.

So far the things I have done as well as diagnostics numbers

1. I cleaned out all of the inlets and outlets of the throttle body and IAC, except the IAC valve-motor. I didn’t want to risk stripping the copper-colored screws or damaging the motor (or solenoid or whatever). The only way I managed to separate the IAC from the TB was using vice grips and WD-40 on the four silver frail Philips screws. However, the video I watched said that there was a O-ring I had to clean and replace behind the valve motor.

2. However, I did manage to clean up as much of the carbon gunk as possible.

3. When I initially started the car after reassembly, I left the radiator cap off. To get started on burping it.

4. I DID NOT disconnect the battery before working on this project. I later learned, at least from both the Honda and Saturn forums, that apparently the car requires the battery to be disconnected for X-Amount-of-Time to “reset the ECU”, so the car can gradually learn to idle again (Cars had to learn how-to-idle?!?). However, I read another post somewhere in a different Toyota forum (either Tundra or Tacoma), that it is not advisable to unplug the battery, and that “it can make the problem worse”. So I still have not done it, unless you guys assure to me that it will help.

5. The Short and Long-Term Fuel Trims read 14.1% Positive, or basically, really really lean. As the car is rumbling like a pipe organ, the LTFT barely fluctuated beyond 0.1% so I was really certain there is a vacuum line leak

6. After turning the car off, I checked all vacuum lines from the airbox to the throttle body. I didn’t replace the hoses yet, whenever I felt a loose hose I tightened it with a new clamp.

7. I found a hairline crack on the airbox. I didn’t take a picture of it, but I rubbed a thin layer of Permatex Ultra Black on it, and then covered it with a thin-strip of duct tape.

8. I have a MAP sensor reading of “no-data”. Except I don’t recall ever encountering a MAP sensor during this project. I looked online at the forums, and there was a lot of confusion on which model of the 1998-2002 Corolla actually possessed one. I do not see connectors or ports to where a MAP sensor could plug into on top of the throttle body. I did however, saw additional vacuum hoses in the intake plenum behind the radiator hose, which I didn’t mess with (aside from scrubbing the reachable ends of the intake plenum). I googled a replacement MAP sensor for a 2002 Corolla 1ZZ-FE, and I kept getting different variations of the sensor. One looked like a coil-pack with tubes, another one had a bottom that looked like a light bulb.

9. I also have a P0442 “EVAP leak” code. I largely ignored it because I had that code for years and all I do is avoid filling up my gas tank completely to prevent it from coming back after I clear it.

10. A brawl broke out right next to me and my car. Because of that, I may have forgotten a CRITICAL part of the process. Right in the middle of me working on this project in my apartment complex, around noon when the sun is getting hot, a fight broke out between one of my neighbors and some crazy looking tweaker guy.

At first, I thought the tweaker was trying to steal my tools, but he was headed to his creepy-tweaky-buddy in a van that was parked (poorly) right next to my car. On my right, was my neighbors, pissed as all hell, mouthing off threats to the tweakers on my left (I believe I saw a handgun in my neighbor’s car, we conversed 20 minutes earlier before the tweakers showed up to start shit, and this neighbor seems to be pretty “hardcore”) As they continued fighting, with me in the middle (and I am not even trying to stop it), I calmly (nervous actually) got my machete (still sheathed) out of my car, and left it in front of my feet and kept on working on my car. Eventually, the tweakers started cleaning their windows on their rape-van and left.

But I am certain the tweakers didn’t manage to steal anything. Unless, that’s where my invisible, imaginary MAP sensor went (and God knows where am I supposed to attach it on the throttle body). What do you think a tweaker could use with a stolen Toyota MAP sensor anyways? Is it a vital component to “get their tweak on”?

It was the most tense half an hour I ever been through, while pretending like I was deaf. My hairs were pretty highly raised right then.

I didn’t even have a gun, but I was SURROUNDED by various sharp OR heavy objects (commonly called “tools”). If that tweaker midget dude lunged for my machete, I still have four socket wrenches within arm’s reach to bonk him on the head with. Oh, and the car was still hot. And I was standing right in front of the radiator cap. So basically, Plan A: Hack, Slash, Stab, and Plan B: Bonk-Scald-and-Burn.

Five minutes after this incident, there was another altercation at the other end of the apartment complex, featuring (I am certain), a completely unrelated party. When I saw THAT GUY speeding down the parking lot towards me and hitting those sharp speed bumps at full throttle, I was looking at his shoulders for sudden movements and getting ready to duck, thinking I was gonna get my head shot in a drive-by.

So yeah. The time I should have spent paying attention to my work, left me really shakey instead. I was expecting ambulances and police cruisers to be swarming the immediate block for the next two hours.

I literally looked like a cautious prairie dog once all that stuff happened.

11. I tried substituting the hard-to-find gasket with Permatex Ultra Black RTV. I tried looking for a replacement IACV gasket locally, but no Autozone, O’Reilly’s, or Pep Boys have any in stock. The gasket has a unique shape, and 75% of the Google search results I found for “2002 Corolla IACV Gasket” turned up a completely different product, where the coolant and idle air passages are rectangular and square.

The gasket that I need, looks like a face, two eyes (one smaller than the other), and a “mouth”. I finally found one for $9 online, but it’ll come in five days.

Since I was being impatient, I thought maybe Permatex RTV would do the trick. I carefully spread around the sealant with a small screwdriver between all of the “canals” of each chamber, and then wiping off the overflow to avoid getting any of this stuff sucked into the engine or coolant passages. As it dried, I added a “second layer” on top to create the “gasket effect”. I then waited half a day (until I woke up), before reassembling the TB + IACV.

I’m thinking, maybe the sealant was too fragile to contain all of the pressure from both coolant and incoming air from the idler holes. And that a piece of sealant may have broken off and jammed the valve of the IACV, causing it to remain open, and constantly introducing excess air into the manifold.

12. The flow of the Mass Air Flow Sensor more than doubled. At “idle”, the car is now between 0.9 to 1.1 Pounds/Minute. Formerly, before this project, the car averaged between 0.2 to 0.4 Pounds/Minute at idle. Initially, I thought there was a leak before the MAF/IAT, but then I realized this excessive airflow is caused by the vacuum leak farther down the intake.

This time, I want to do it right, without having to backtrack
and making sure the car actually idles normally. I am planning to…

1. Strip down the entire intake from air-box to manifold plenum, again.

2. Finally try to get those IAC valve motor screws out so I can clean it too

3. Un-gunk my half-assed “RTV gasket job”

4. Start checking and replacing the intake manifold vacuum hoses, starting with wherever is the EVAP hose led to underneath the radiator hose. Since the vacuum leak is mainly referring to MANIFOLD VACUUM, all I have to do is check and replace the hoses ONLY from the intake manifold to the airbox right? Because that P0442 EVAP leak code could be anywhere, from the engine bay to the gas tank.

5. Bring friends. Friends with guns, or some sort of intimidating improvised weaponry, and just stand next to me and my car looking “really mean” so I can finish my fixing. No way am I gonna be distracted by my ghetto neighborhood. If you would like to be my car-fixing friend/bodyguard, LMK. You can wield any of the “weapons” you find in my possession for the time being.

Last edited:
Well earlier today, I managed to get my Throttle Body and IACV back out of my car, right before another set of heavy rain.

Man, using RTV was a really bad idea. Or using THAT much of it. Before and after photos right here.

The air inlet passages, the two little ones, have a big chunk of RTV that was right over them. As I was cleaning them out again, I found a small piece of gasket right inside the magnetic rotary valve that I finally got out.

After walking over to Autozone in the rain, and asking them for a replacement OEM gasket, and then inquiring about gasket maker sheets, the person at the counter told me that RTV is adequate as long as I do not use TOO MUCH OF IT. Besides, the gasket maker sheets they had in stock, was inadequate, one material was "too hard", and all of them were as thin as paper. I eventually just bought some extra Permatex Ultra Black, some carb cleaner, and a few extra hose clamps (if I find other vacuum leaks).

I checked the weather forecast, basically both today and tomorrow are terrible conditions to work in to reinstall this ahead of time (monsoon season). And by the time Monday comes, the official gasket should have arrived in the mail.

But, as a precaution, in case I am needed in person right-away IRL (and therefore, have to "drop-in" my TB+IACV back into my car at a moment's notice), I have once again, applied a thinner layer of RTV on the gasket-canals. This time, I smoothed it over with a screwdriver, repeatedly cleaned out the air & coolant passages by hand, then bolted the unit back together to let it dry. But right after, I immediately sprayed carb cleaner through the passages (with the plate bolted back on), shook out any gunk, and then tested the coolant-sealing part by running water through the coolant pipes, waiting a few seconds (to find leaks), and then blowing it all out with my mouth when I was satisfied.

I also did a few modifications, so that my inevitable THIRD teardown of the intake (when I get my real gaskets) next week will not be as hectic. I changed the easy-to-strip philips bolts with M5 bolts that I picked up from Autozone. All I need is a 8mm socket on the two with more freeplay, or a 8mm box wrench for the more confined ones and I can tear this thing apart much faster.

Right now my TB + IAC is just sitting there on a tarp in the living room. I want the gasket to dry as much as possible before I am forced to put it back in. Or, if there is no impending emergencies, then when I get my replacement rubber, I can have it done as short as 30 minutes.

Alright so "Project Temporary IAC Gasket Substitute, Round #2" is successful!

Actually, this was my third attempt. Let me explain.

1. First try, attempted to reuse the original gasket after cleaning. Noticed gasket will not fit ALL of the canals mating the IACV to the throttle body. When I attempted to mount the assembled part back onto the intake manifold, as soon as I attached the coolant hoses, the awkward fitting caused coolant to immediately leak out onto the ground. I frantically removed and disassembled it to inspect what was wrong.

2. Second try, two days ago. I went overboard with the RTV sealant, as you can see in my previous post. The end result was... overflow of RTV (I used Permatex Ultra Black) got "smooshed" into both the idle air passages and the "coolant pit". It affected the throttle control a whole lot worse though. I got P0300 Random Misfire codes. Upon disassembly, again... I noticed that the excess RTV got sucked into the IAC rotating solenoid valve, spinning cylinder thingy. It jammed it to a "stuck open" position, causing a massive vacuum leak, and making the engine "idle-hunt" or "idle-surge". It's when the engine, at idle, runs extremely lean and the engine would go "rawr, rawr, rawr" every second as it revs up between 1,000 to 4,000 RPM depending on severity.

3. I have class tomorrow. Frustrated as all hell, I began reading ALL documentation of forming "DIY gaskets" from ALL car brands and models on the internet. I found that the Jeep posts that I found on Google (search RTV sealant as IACV gasket) was very informative.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gasket-maker-safe-use-iac-housing-1541949/

Basically, ANY RTV could work as a TEMPORARY fix, until you get your needed gaskets from the internet, as long as it is SENSOR SAFE, can withstand high temperatures (at least 212 degrees fahrenheit for the coolant), and does not wreck havoc on your motor in case something goes wrong. I heard that the red RTVs are very destructive to sensors, so I just bought myself a little toothpaste tube of Permatex Ultra Black.

This time I followed a really strict procedure... (this took me hours, mainly I was waiting for the RTV to try adequately before reinstallation), and I had only the tools available to people that dwell in caves

Step 1. Disconnect car battery before removing TB+IACV to clear codes, and to force your Corolla into Re-Learn mode when you finally complete the reassembly.

Step 2. Remove throttle body + IAC, and then stuff rags down your intake manifold plenum (for the elements), and duct-tape your connectors Throttle Position Sensor, and IAC solenoid connector. Maybe even, duct-tape your negative battery terminal, if you are expecting rain like I did (Vegas was flooding yesterday and early morning).

Step 3. Remove the four easily-stripped, and heavily torqued philips screws (it bolts down the IAC to the bottom of the TB) , first with a VICE GRIP for the two exposed ends. Clamp down HARD, and then TURN. This will take several tries. For the last two, harder to grip screws (because of all the metal in the way), take either a flathead screwdriver and hammer it like a chisel, to form a indentation (carefully! The IAC solenoid in the plastic housing is some sort of rotary-electro-magnet).

Or, you could, after being frustrated after so many long half-hours... look on YouTube, and then take a simple hacksaw, and cut slits into the last two screws and then put in a flathead and turn.

Step 4. I only managed to disassemble the magnetic IAC motor, by means of the hacksaw method. Seemed Toyota really wanted me to shell out $200 for a IAC (and JUST the IAC). If you don't have 5-star security bits, and a tool shop nearby, this is all you get to work with. Take a hacksaw, and using the higher black plastic molding as a guide, cut at a diagonal angle, CAREFULLY. You have to cut pretty deep to get these ones by flathead without stripping all of it entirely in a single turn.

Step 5. At this point, you should replace those four philips screws that mated the IAC and TB together with some M5 screws, 8mm hexagonal head. Since if you are making a liquid temporary gasket, you are definitely coming back to take it apart again. Unless you are some sort of masochist and want to take apart stripped fasteners.

Step 6. You can keep the original O-ring for the plastic housing for the IAC motor. You just gotta clean it. Apparently this thing is a rotary permanent magnet, spun around by two hidden coils. I shined my flashlight down there and I couldn't see anything more than one side more narrow than the other. Mine was very clean, but I simply put a layer of RTV on the cap-end (coil side). Smoothed it out with a screwdriver, and then put my pinky down there to dig out any obstructions to the spinning magnet and let it dry for a hour. When I reassembled the motor I reused the same little copper screws I broke, since I do not anticipate doing this again for the lifetime of the car.

Step 7. Clean the actual IAC valve, and ALL of the throttle body using a solvent of your choice. Now, I didn't pay any mind to anything other than "sensor safe". But what I chose to use, was basically all of the "toxic waste runoff" from my previous attempts that I still keep in a metal pail. That is consisting of...

1. Marvel Mystery Oil

2. Store brand carb cleaner

3. Throttle body cleaner

4. MAF sensor cleaner

5. Goof-Off

This stuff I still have (for my last and final project when the authentic OEM gasket comes in), is some nasty stuff. Put on some gloves, it will burn to the touch. Cover your eyes.

You basically tape up the electrical connectors on the two components (excluding IAC motor, you are already done with that) with duct tape. And then dunk it into the toxic waste. Then grab a metal toothbrush and SCRUB FURIOUSLY. Get the old gaskets off. Get right into that spinning IACV cylinder. And when you are done, twirl the magnet end of the valve, to make sure there is NOTHING inside there.

Then air-dry next to your window on a tarp or something, for a hour.

Step 8. Form your new temporary gasket. Very important this part. Or you will be tearing down your car again.

First, put a small droplet sized bead on one corner of the mating surface. Then take your screwdriver, and smooth it over, kind of like how the people in cartoons put cement between bricks. Keep doing this until you get each surface of the canal covered EVENLY. Do not overuse the RTV or you’ll end up where I was in my second attempt. The thickness should be no more than paper-thin, when both pieces are reassembled, the RTV will take care of the rest as it cures.

After you are satisfied. Take your screwdriver, or your finger, and then pick out the excess sealant that landed inside the canals. Very important to get as much of this as possible or you’ll jam the valve.

Step 9. Reassemble the throttle body, IAC, and motor. As soon as you are done, and tightened everything down, clean out the IAC air inlets and exits. Basically you are cleaning everything again, but assembled. You’ll be surprised how much of the RTV you missed as it flows out of the holes on both sides of the throttle. And then give it, like half a day, or all weekend for me, to let it cure as much as possible.

Step 10 (optional). I was really paranoid that this won’t work, and my ETA for my replacement gasket was uncertain. I tested the openings, inlets, and valves by using a straw to blow cigarette smoke through each opening and either taping shut or blocking the other with my hand.

I’m not encouraging smoking. You can, I don’t know…. Squirt kool-aid or something. Just verify, that…

1. NO air (smoke) is escaping from the Throttle Body to IAC junction (with the four screws and homemade gasket).

2. NO coolant (“kool-aid”) is escaping from the two coolant passages on the bottom.

3. If you see NO smoke escaping, that’s A-Ok. You were probably holding it where gravity was dragging the magnet valve closed.

4. Just make sure nothing is leaking, and that you washed everything out again. It shouldn’t be leaking as soon as you assembled and re-washed the unit

Step 11. Reinstallation. Assuming you gave the entire curing process, at least half a day before assembly, you are now ready to put the parts back into your car. There are plenty of guides on how to remove/clean the TB + IACV so I assume you already know how to do this… Just make sure…

1. You UNSCREW the radiator cap before you start the car. (we are burping the radiator, we exposed the coolant lines to air and probably lost a handful of it)

2. Fill the radiator back to full before starting the car.

3. Assuming the warm-up process was successful (It should sound like a ordinary vehicle warmup, except “newer”. You probably hadn’t heard the “start-up rev” of a new 1zz-FE for many thousand miles, so it’s a satisfying roar)… add coolant if it is getting low, and CLOSE THE CAP first before turning off your engine.

4. Also, you should check your fuel trims if you have a OBDII smartphone dongle handy. It can tell you if you located a vacuum leak, even a minor one. Basically, negative fuel trim = rich, and positive fuel trim = lean. Plus or minus 10% is A-Ok from what I have seen, but I have questions about my fuel trims too, so I want someone else to comment on this.

5. If your engine, does the start-up rev, but then immediate degenerates into idle-hunting, or surging (like my failed second attempt), you are going to have to try this again. I will try to post some better pictures next weekend of the critical gasket-making step since I didn’t take a photo of it on this try.

THE WRONG WAY (idle surging)

THE RIGHT WAY, WARM-UP (left), AND IDLE (right), FUEL TRIMS

I DO WANT TO KNOW WHY IT WENT "LEAN" MOMENTARILY 20 MINUTES LATER (possible vacuum leak?)

Good news, so far with the temporary gasket the car appears to be operating normally. Although operating a bit lean. I was surprised at the throttle response. I was driving my car (it's a stickshift 2002 Corolla Sport) and always peeling out from a stop no matter how careful I was. I was using my regular, leg-muscle conditioned method of engaging my clutch and applying gas and I keep surprising myself with the way it takes off. And people think I am trying to race them (I am not!) so they just take their Dodge Challengers and Ford Mustangs and trying to race me XD.

And yeah, eventually I got tempted to race them too. Of course, I never won because it's a damn Corolla. But I did managed to get surprised looks on their faces through their tinted windows, after full clutch-engagement on first gear I take RPM up to 5,000 for a SPLIT SECOND (don't want to wear down my motor) and then shift, and bring the next gear to 5K, until I get to third (and I let off the gas once the car hits 50 mph so I don't get pulled over). I do not "Power Shift", I do simple normal procedure of shifting (step in clutch, foot off gas, engage next gear, foot back on gas, let go of clutch, basic ABCs) so I do not wear down my clutch.

Despite my engine's age (190,000 miles), it has insane amounts of pep and makes other drivers scramble to catch up. Two stoplights later, is when their superior displacement and V8's manage to crush me. They should have bought a manual XD

Also, I just received my specially designed official OEM gasket in the mail, I checked the shape and it looks like it fits.

However, I do not have time until tomorrow morning to get started on tearing apart my intake again
, then cleaning, and then installing the new gasket and do another test run. So somewhere in the weekend I will show you my post-repair results on the diagnostic dashboard app.

But the slight "lean condition" of the engine still remains. After coming to a stop or after warming up the car, Short Term Fuel Trim is around +3% and Long Term Fuel Trim is around 12% with slight oscillations. I also did the "Snap-The-Throttle" trick, to verify the operation of the upstream oxygen air-fuel sensor (it responds).

Since my car is a oil burner (I can see the smoke when I rev my car), does that supposedly cause the vehicle to run lean at idle? I am aware of the 1ZZ-FE oil consumption issues via the piston rings. I am not sure if oil-contamination in the combustion chamber may or may not raise internal cylinder temperatures (probably pressure as well).

After I perform my authentic gasket replacement and verify the fix, I will...

1. Perform another MMO piston soak (adding some kerosene too as suggested)
2. After carbon smoke clears, I am changing the oil.
3. Substitute the Pennzoil High Mileage 5W-30 with this new partial synthetic blend I heard of online, known as Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage 5W-30. From what I heard, this won't hurt my car, and I read the technical readouts of the product, supposedly the "Flash Point" (ignition point) and "NOACK Factor" (tendency to turn into vapor and burn) is much higher.

If you need to make a gasket for the IACV, you can cut one out of a "cardboard" milk carton. This type cardboard is treated with polyperse wax and is essentially the same material often used as OEM gasket material for throttle bodies and IACVs. You can of course coat the home made gasket one with sides with a thin layer of RTV if it makes you feel better.

Good news and bad news. I been driving around with the new IACV gasket I got in the mail for about a week.

GOOD NEWS: For the most part, the car's performance has been restored. After the car relearned it's idling routine, the car takes off quicker, seems to be more easy to drive. Idle USUALLY holds steady.

BAD NEWS: However, the car has redeveloped it's rough idle problem, and since I cleaned the throttle body, intake, IACV valve, and IACV rotating solenoid and replaced the gasket, I know for sure this is no longer the problem.

The rough idle comes up intermittently at stoplights. Particularly, in really really nasty traffic jams. From the typical 650 to 720 rpm idle speed, it abrupt would drop to 490 to 530 rpm, causing me to punch the gas a bit to keep the car from stalling.

I am from Las Vegas (which makes my rough idle issues particularly serious), a city notorious for...

1. Improperly timed traffic lights (that cause road fatalities that far exceeds the nation's per-capita average, as most people miscalculate the stoplight timing and end up running the lights, speeding, driving recklessly)
2. Jaywalkers, methheads, bums, and squatters (the media is trying to create a link between the squatters, and a recent trend of arson of abandoned houses and storage units, they just arrested someone yesterday)
3. Terrible drivers (as any tourist can attest)
4. Road rage, and subsequent road-rage related gun battles in residential neighborhoods, e.g. Tammy Myers and Erich Nowsch (fortunately, in comparison to New England, Southern California, and Miami, we, Las Vegas still seem very passive-aggressive in comparison since there are killings every two days in those places)
5. Poorly planned road construction (A six lane, improperly painted road like Tropicana can immediately merge into three lanes with little warning. Meanwhile, the new construction funnels rush-hour traffic into single-lane two-hour long waits where we all spend this time idling our vehicles until we make it to the freeway entrance)
6. Probably the new and emerging metropolitan "Hit-and-Run Capital of the United States" (Even our district attorney (Steve Wolfson I believe, albeit now I think the new D.A. is Adam Laxalt) says it. Current Hit-and-Run statutes encourages accident perpetrators, to speed off instead of staying around for any accountability, looking for that sweet sweet chance to not get hit with ANY charges due to lack of witnesses)

I just need to know what other issues I should be looking for, in a 190,000 mile, 2002 Corolla. I am thinking of investigating...

1. Any vacuum leaks
(I'll grab a bottle of water, wait for the car to warm up. And start squirting along, starting from the airbox, down the plastic/rubber intake plumbing, right on top of the intake manifold)
2. Fuel injector pressure regulator/Fuel pump/Fuel filter (From what I was told, the fuel filter itself is NOT the cause because it's located directly inside of the gas tank, but everything else is exposed in the engine bay)
3. Mechanical Issues, like a exhaust restriction (My car is indeed, a oil-burner. I have replaced my upstream air-fuel ratio O2 sensor less than a year ago. I regularly remove it every month to clean it by hand. At it's current rate of oil consumption, no doubt that my failing catalytic converter or muffler has been plugged up, possibly causing backpressure. I'm thinking about getting a pressure gauge from the internet, to check.

I would definitely look for vacuum leaks, as they can cause the problem you describe. Vacuum leaks are a common cause and fairly easy to track down. I more than once had a leaky throttle body gasket (not on a Toyota) that would cause rough idea. I generally replace all rubber vacuum tubing every 5 years as part of preventive maintenance. Silicone tubing will last much much longer, but the required wallthickenss may make silicone undesirable depending on the application.

A partially or fully stuck open EGR valve will cause rough idea, since the engine won't idle well with a small amount of exhaust getting ingested. You can find online instructions on how to check if the EGR valve is stuck open or if the fuel pressure regulator is defective.