Intake talk: Cold air vs. Short ram

Okay guys, so Im getting a custom cat back done this Wednesday and I see it fitting that my next mod be an intake. But i dont know which to get, if i follow my pocket it would tell me to get a short ram but i have been told by everyone i know to get a cold air. Whats the difference?! Even if i did figure which to get then i would have to choose between oiled or dry filters. There is just so much to choose from. Can you guys help me out?

The biggest difference is a short ram keeps the filter in the engine bay drawing hotter engine compartment air.
The cold air kit places the filter down and behind the front clip drawing outside air (mostly)
Otherwise the two are similar. Kits come with filters, tube, couplers etc.
Research your kits, not all are created equal. Some are notorious for throwing a cel. Particularly the K&N typhoon. Some might affect your mpg. Have fun!

To expand, I personally prefer the dry filter. Some people tend to oversaturate the filter and this will eventually give trouble to your mass air sensor.
If you did go K&N or other oil type, use the oil sparingly . I never believed oil help filter air anyway. Lol.

The biggest difference is a short ram keeps the filter in the engine bay drawing hotter engine compartment air.
The cold air kit places the filter down and behind the front clip drawing outside air (mostly)
Otherwise the two are similar. Kits come with filters, tube, couplers etc.
Research your kits, not all are created equal. Some are notorious for throwing a cel. Particularly the K&N typhoon. Some might affect your mpg. Have fun!
Okay, now is there a difference in the performance depending on whether it takes in cold or hot air?

To expand, I personally prefer the dry filter. Some people tend to oversaturate the filter and this will eventually give trouble to your mass air sensor.
If you did go K&N or other oil type, use the oil sparingly . I never believed oil help filter air anyway. Lol.
The oil helps with cleaning. I agree, use it sparingly. A light cote is plenty.

Okay, now is the difference is power noticeable or is it just a technical thing? If that makes sense. Because a cai is like $300+ while a short ram is sub $200.
I have had both types of intake and currently I have the CAI installed. Both have made noticeable "power" increases, but at slightly different ranges in the rpm's.
It's a Corolla, so it will take more than just an intake to really notice. Most of us have aftermarket exhaust, which complements the intake (more "power") and a few of us have "upgraded" our MAF sensor with one from Jetchip.
The MAF sensor will let the computer know that there is more air available.
This common combination of parts should increase "power" and fuel economy.
Plus, you'll have a lot more fun driving it around!!

Okay, now is the difference is power noticeable or is it just a technical thing? If that makes sense. Because a cai is like $300+ while a short ram is sub $200.
Supposedly the SRI allows for more top end power while the CAI allows for more low end power. But the difference is nominal at best.
The stock set up is somewhat cold air as it sits. The part you can't see that's behind the battery, inside the fender, is U shaped and comes back up into the engine bay. Inside the fender is a "pre-filter" if you will. It's made of some material that will allow air (presumably cold) to pass through.

Supposedly the SRI allows for more top end power while the CAI allows for more low end power. But the difference is nominal at best.
The stock set up is somewhat cold air as it sits. The part you can't see that's behind the battery, inside the fender, is U shaped and comes back up into the engine bay. Inside the fender is a "pre-filter" if you will. It's made of some material that will allow air (presumably cold) to pass through.
Okay, so it's not that one is better than the other it's just that they provide more power in different rpm ranges? Is that the gist of it?

When I was going for my automotive degree I ask my teacher about this and in simple terms he said short intakes are great for hp but you loose torque and CAI is for adding torque but you loose top speed which relates to HP. I have a K&N typhoon (short ram intake) which is perfect for me because I do a lot of highway driving. Now if you only mostly do city driving then a CAI is better since it's mostly stop n go traffic n helps a lot when u need get up n go (torque is wen it comes to play in this) n also because you're not moving has fast u don't have enough cool air flowing to the intake. CAI helps alot for this.

When I was going for my automotive degree I ask my teacher about this and in simple terms he said short intakes are great for hp but you loose torque and CAI is for adding torque but you loose top speed which relates to HP. I have a K&N typhoon (short ram intake) which is perfect for me because I do a lot of highway driving. Now if you only mostly do city driving then a CAI is better since it's mostly stop n go traffic n helps a lot when u need get up n go (torque is wen it comes to play in this) n also because you're not moving has fast u don't have enough cool air flowing to the intake. CAI helps alot for this.
I experienced this exact problem today.
And now I'm going back to an SRI.

Damn...I could have sent the HPS back, but left it in the car when I sold it. Some 19 year old kid bought the Corolla and has been stoked!! And it's cool , cuz I'm loving the ST. Lol

Damn...I could have sent the HPS back, but left it in the car when I sold it. Some 19 year old kid bought the Corolla and has been stoked!! And it's cool , cuz I'm loving the ST. Lol
I know right!
I ordered a black one this time.
Kinda sucks though, it took a couple long trips to really get a feel for the CAI.