Intermittent starting problem

Hi, my wifes 2006 Corolla, 1.8 VVT-i 145,000 mi. Runs/drives perfect. Last few days it's begun to not start on occasion. Usually it starts/runs fine but occasionally it turns over well but just won't start. I thought, fuel pump maybe? Went to check the fuel pressure and found there are no fuel line schrader valves to hook to on this model. I could cut the fuel line and add a tee but that doesn't appeal to me. (just asking for problems)
Say, does anybody make an adapter to check the fuel pressure for these cars? I had it checked for codes thinking it would tell me if the fuel pump was low pressure or something but there were no codes. Ok, now what? Ummm, the fuel pump is old so maybe that's it. Could be the fuel filter but I replaced it a couple of years ago. If it was the fuel pump relay, wouldn't that code come up on the computer? I'm out of ideas and would appreciate any help you guys could give me. Thanks in advance! :eek:)

Ok, I replaced the fuel pump (the whole package, pump, screen, fuel sender, etc) but it didn't help. Still the same. No codes. Occasionally won't start. Turns over well but won't run. My wife just txt me said, "it took 4 tries to start it." Meaning, crank, crank, crank. nothing. Crank,crank, crank, nothing... 4 times, then takes off and runs great. I'm stumped with no codes. could it be a relay some place? I always thought that would trigger a code but... Wish I could pop a plug wire off , hang a spark plug and see if it's firing when it happens but you never know when it will do it so... Any ideas? Thanks

Forgot to add, Help! :eek:

Also, Rock'n Roller. I still havn"t looked into the ECM yet but that's on my list.

Last edited:
yekrats, did you figure out the problem. I have changed fuel pump as well and still having the same issue.
I called the dealer and they tell me our corolla was not recalled for the computer. 2006 S model.

Deoc

There is a relay in the right side by the battery where all the fuses are, one of them allows the car to start if that relay malfunctions the car wont start it will take 4-7 trys, i would replace the relay first to make sure is no that, no sure which relay is as there is like 3 of them.

yekrats, did you figure out the problem. I have changed fuel pump as well and still having the same issue.
I called the dealer and they tell me our corolla was not recalled for the computer. 2006 S model.
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Well, it always starts so I haven't gotten to the dealer yet. I like Deoc's post about the relay though. In fact, my initial "gut" reaction to the whole thing was "It acts like a bad fuel pump but why, once it starts does it keep going?" So... "bad relay?" Then I found out about the recall. Now I'm thinking about replacing the EFI relay, just because. (In 2006 Corolla's the EFI relay is also the fuel pump relay.) It's only about $15 bucks so worth the risk.