IS 5W-30 OIL SYNTHETIC RECOMMENDED FOR 2004 TOYOTA COROLLA AND HOW MANY MILES BEFORE OIL CHANGE?

I have started using 5w-30 synthetic oil for my Toyota Corolla 2004 and I will like to know if its good for the engine and how often do I have to drain the oil?

ToyBoy

I usually change my synthetic oil on my 2014 around 5000 miles. There are others who will go longer and even some who will change sooner.

ToyBoy

PS , I have the 2014 Corolla and 0w-20 oil is required. Not sure what the 2004 corolla uses. Is it listed on top the oil plug?

Betzy

I have started using 5w-30 synthetic oil for my Toyota Corolla 2004 and I will like to know if its good for the engine and how often do I have to drain the oil?
Welcome from the oldest part of the land. Great question about different oils and your vehicle.
Here is a cut & paste.
Synthetic oil vs. conventional oil
Synthetic oil is exactly what it sounds like: an engine lubricant created artificially from chemical compounds. Some classes of synthetic oil start with conventional oil as a base that's then chemically altered to produce synthetic oil, while others may be artificially created from other raw materials. In contrast, conventional motor oil (also referred to as standard oil or mineral-based oil), is refined from naturally occurring crude oil.
Expert mechanics say synthetic oil does offer specific advantages over conventional motor oil.
“With synthetic, the oil’s ability to do its job within the car engine is superior to mineral-based oil,” says Greg Hochhalter, owner of Auburn Foreign & Domestic Car in Auburn, Wash.
“The primary purposes of synthetic oils are to reduce engine wear during cold start-up and drive-away, and to avoid or reduce oil degradation,” says Sam Bell, owner of The Lusty Wrench in Cleveland.
In a nutshell, synthetic oil is thinner, resists temperature extremes better and generally lasts longer. You likely won’t notice any difference in how your car performs, but the durability characteristic is the most important from a car owner’s perspective, as it translates to less frequent oil changes compared to conventional motor oil.
“The fundamental difference is that synthetic oil can go longer before it starts to break down when compared to conventional oil,” Hochhalter says.
Although recommended oil change intervals vary by vehicle manufacturer, in general, a good rule of thumb to follow is to change conventional motor oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.
“If you’re using full synthetic oil, we recommend going about 7,500 between changes,” says Leo Jay of Dere Auto in Seattle.
Bell says that with synthetic oil and some manufacturers, intervals between oil changes can be much, much longer: "In some cases as much as 15,000 miles or one year."
Some mechanics, though, say you should change your oil every 5,000 miles even with synthetic oil.
Hope this helps you.
Here is the link:
https://www.angieslist.com/articles/synthetic-motor-oil-better-your-car.htm

ToyBoy

Yep , I always use synthetic oil . That is what my year is called for. Not sure about a 2004 if they were labeled with non-synthetic. Even if they did I would stick to a synthetic. It`s a small price difference and they are much better oils.

I use the cheapest conventional 5w-30 that I can find (walmart). Change every 4,000 miles, with toyota/wix filter.
325,000 miles now, uses about a 1/2 cup of oil between changes.