is it possible to install other apps from the play store?

if so how? 2020 corolla. I tried copying apk's to a USB , no luck maybe i went about it the wrong way. I'd rather use waze instead of google maps sometimes. just some customization's that i would like to do if its possible.

jolly

Entune is a closed system working only with Toyota’s included apps. Other apps, like Waze, are phone downloaded and operated via Carplay if you have an iPhone (and hopefully, someday, Android Auto). Beware of data usage!

if so how? 2020 corolla. I tried copying apk's to a USB , no luck maybe i went about it the wrong way. I'd rather use waze instead of google maps sometimes. just some customization's that i would like to do if its possible.

It's not android, it's LINUX.

You need to drop into the system and install a package over the USB cable.

The person saying etunes is a "closed system" doesn't understand the GNU licensing. Talk to your friendly neighborhood hacker

The person saying etunes is a "closed system" doesn't understand the GNU licensing. Talk to your friendly neighborhood hacker
Euh… having to call a "friendly neighborhood hacker" isn’t exactly a tribute to the alleged openness of a system! It’s somewhat like asking if one can take any money he/she wants from the bank and answering “Sure! Just hire a robber”. A hacker doesn’t even need open source to achieve a goal for that matter, whether taking control of a key-less car without any fob or reprogramming an ECU. The reason it's not that common is that it takes time and knowledge as there is a domino effect to any mod, especially since the head unit CPU is related to other car’s functions than just infotainment. Plus strictly speaking, the Entune licence that comes with the car doesn’t legally allow it.

Auto Grade Linux is sure open source (so is Android, by the way), as the goal is to gradually market a common ground for all manufacturers in car’s interconnection development (it’s quite in an early stage right now with infotainment systems). But if the UCB is common, “open” also means the possibility of adding a proprietary layer that isn't (which, surprise, manufacturers do). At one point, there was a hack available to add CarPlay/Auto to Mazda infotainment. Not anymore, as Mazda then modify their proprietary layer… to make the upgrade a paid one. And the chip in Entune 3.0 is hardcoded with cryptographic keys in order to protect the integrity of the bootloader.

In other words, it’s not as easy as adding a launcher to a phone or tweaking the penguin at home. No doubt a hack will eventually be available. You may even be aware of one. But it involves a lot of retro-engineering to over-ride the security enclosure of the system without compromising any critical car function and (a lot) more than a couple of lines of codes. I don’t think that’s what the OP had in mind, looking for a simple way to add apps from the Play Store… Yes, anything is possible but from a legal (if ones care) and mostly practical point, I’ll stick with Entune being a closed system.

Yeah unfortunately I'm not one to dump the firmware and nand chips for the cryptographic signatures or certificates so if one has done it I'm sure it's available somewhere on the internet. I was able to find a version of the techstream (?) Software that the Toyota technician's use and a $20 dongle that's ODB to USB so I don't have to go to the dealership for dealership only changes such as the interior dome light timing and directional timing when you lightly hit the turn signal.

Oh I found something regarding etunes and sniffing out the connections. How do I PM you on this forum? Not sure if I am allowed to post links so here's a shot

https://www.jkry.org/ouluhack/Toyota Touch %26 Go

IDK why the link is broken but copy and paste the whole link and it should load.

It's entirely possible to custom install applications once you understand HOW Toyota runs their operating system. It seems they use QNX. Lots of details on that website. Sadly I have the basic model of etunes so I can't tinker with it :/ Maybe this starting point is good enough??

It's entirely possible to custom install applications once you understand HOW Toyota runs their operating system. It seems they use QNX. Lots of details on that website. Sadly I have the basic model of etunes so I can't tinker with it :/ Maybe this starting point is good enough??
Yikes! Touch & Go is old, even pre Entune dated! OP has a 2020 model (Entune 3.0), which ditched QNX for AGL.

I’m not into hacking, partly, as I said, for legal reasons (Entune being only partially GNU, kind of like bottled water: the water may be open source – pun intended! – but the bottle isn’t) but mostly for all the technical implications. The Mazda hack, yet simple, didn’t appear overnight (its blocking was quicker, though…).

With the proprietary, non-open source security designed to evolve towards interconnected cars, I wouldn’t expect a hack so soon after launching. Even Toyota’s own implementation of Android is painfully slow and gradual and it’s definitely not because they don’t care about the lack of Android hurting their image.

Yes, Toyota’s Techstream / Techstream lite are great tools. Some of the mods they allow are so basic, though, that one has to wonder why they wouldn’t be available directly from the car system… $elling $oftware is one of Toyota’s things I gess!